Rangers Coach Gerrard Frustrated After Draw Vs St. Johnstone Despite Aribo's HeroicsPublished: February 23, 2020
Super Eagles midfielder Joe Aribo showed off his goal scoring skills for Rangers in a 2-2 draw with St. Johnstone in the Scottish Premiership on Sunday and thus, received a thumbs up from manager Steven Gerrard post-match.
The Gers No. 17 made the most of a Florian Kamberi's neat pass into the box in the 71st minute to beat Alexander Clark, bringing the scoreline to 2-1 in the process.
Three days ago, Aribo was on the scoresheet as Rangers edged an Europa League game versus Sporting Braga, and Gerrard has opined his combination with Kamberi could have been the biggest of their performance at McDiarmid Park today but for the late goal they let in.
"I'm frustrated and concerned with us defensively," Gerrard told BBC Sport.
"It has happened too many times now. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot by conceding silly, silly goals and we forgot the real good, strong basics of defending.
"We should be talking about those two players [Kamberi and Aribo] being superstars for Rangers today but unfortunately but everyone's going to criticise us on a poor defensive showing."
Barring a last ditch injury, it is a forgone conclusion that the former Charlton Athletic starlet will be named to the Super Eagles squad to face Sierra Leone in the AFCON qualifying double-header next month.
Aribo's other two goals for Rangers in the top flight had come against Hibernian and Livingston.
Football News 24/7
- Arsenal Battling Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester United, Spanish & Italian Clubs For Super Eagles Star?
- Club Brugge's Dennis Now The 3rd Most Valuable Player In Belgium, Ranked 5th Among Nigerians
- Leicester City Have Not Received An Official Approach From Barcelona Over Ndidi
- Coronavirus : Super Eagles Star Kalu Gets Permission From Bordeaux To Return To Nigeria
- 'Even If He's Nigeria Coach, He Still Has Ties With Girondins' - Rohr Named Among Top 5 Legendary Bordeaux Players
- Van Vossen's Ajax Best XI : Finidi In But Five Nigerians Miss Out Including Kanus, Oliseh
- Mourinho's Best XI He Has Coached : The Four Nigerian Stars Snubbed By Portuguese Super Coach
- Ex-Spurs Coach Pochettino Watched Arsenal Striker Balogun Score Brace Vs Manchester City U23
- The Three Biggest Losers From The Coronavirus Pandemic Fallout In Super Eagles
- Players Who Have Earned 20 Caps Or More While Chelsea Players : Four Nigerians Among 62 Players
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football