Euro 2020 Postponed For One Year And Why It's Good News For Nigeria Football FederationPublished: March 17, 2020
Europe's football governing body UEFA has confirmed through a press release that the European Championship has been postponed for one year as a precautionary measure due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The decision was taken because the coronavirus outbreak may not be contained by June and also to allow time for majority of the European Leagues to be completed.
Following a video conference in Nyon on Tuesday, the new proposed dates set for the European Championship are 11 June - 11 July 2021.
UEFA's decision to postpone the European Championship will be good news for the Nigeria Football Federation in the context of having more time on their hands to convince two promising teenagers to pledge their international futures to the three-time African champions.
Prior to the postponement, there was speculation in the media that a target of the Nigerian Federation, Arsenal winger Bukayo Saka could represent England in the Euros and he would have become cap-tied to the Three Lions if the tournament went ahead this summer and named by Gareth Southgate on his roster.
Another precocious player in Bayern Munich's Joshua Zirkzee stood a good chance of being included in the Netherlands squad list following his brilliant form for the German champions but, again, this has gone up in smoke.
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has been on Zirkzee's case and scouted him last month as he made his full Bundesliga debut against Hoffenheim.
The Nigeria Football Federation have six months or so to convince the Bayern and Arsenal wonderkids to play for the Super Eagles, with the UEFA Nations League tentatively scheduled to start in September 2020.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- 'I Know The Category I Belong In Super Eagles' - Mikel Agu Not Surprised Over World Cup Axe
- 'Both Of Them Were Serious Heartbreaks' - Iwobi Opens Up On Late Goals Conceded Vs Algeria, Argentina
- Ejuke Explains His Connection To Dutch-Born Heerenveen Midfielder Courted By Nigeria
- Premier League Clubs, Barca, Real Madrid Handed Transfer Boost As Osimhen Rejects Napoli
- Official : Eyoma Returns To Tottenham Hotspur; Adebayo-Smith, Edun Retained By Lincoln City
- Proof That Manchester United Center Back Mengi Is Not Eligible To Represent Nigeria
- What Does The Future Hold For Amos At Tottenham Hotspur?
- Olympiakos-Linked Striker Onyekuru Reveals His Preferred Destination
- Why Manchester United's Fastest Player Is Perfect For Nigeria Youth Teams
- Official : Two Nigerian Youngsters To Depart Norwich City At The End Of June
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football