Former Chelsea Midfielder Mikel Replies Trabzonspor President Obsessed With Winning Super LigPublished: March 20, 2020
John Obi Mikel has aimed a dig at Trabzonspor president Ahmet Agaoglu, saying he's obsessed with winning the Turkish Super Lig, something the club has not managed to do since their last triumph in 1984.
While the former Nigeria international had called on the authorities to postpone the Super Lig following the coronavirus pandemic, Agaoglu wanted the league to continue simply because Trabzonspor were topping the table.
Mikel terminated his contract with Trabzonspor by mutual consent on Tuesday after falling out with Agaoglu over his social media post which he refused to delete when instructed to do so by the club chief.
"Football is the one thing in Turkey that allows people to get rid of their stress, to entertain themselves and to occupy their minds,” Agaoglu told reporters.
"If they suspend the league for a long time, in a month from now there won’t be enough judges to rule on all the divorce cases."
Asked to respond to Agaoglu's comments, Mikel was quoted as saying by the Guardian UK : "It just shows you how the thinking there is.
"I just have to be honest and be brutal with what I’m saying. It just shows that they don’t really care about human life.
"They don’t care about what is going on in the world. All they care about is how to win the league. The reason why I signed for Trabzonspor last summer was to win the league.
"I gave 100% in every game. But in this situation, where the world is facing such a difficult time, I didn’t feel that football should continue."
Mikel's contract with Trabzonspor would have expired in June 2021 if the two parties had honored their initial agreement.
Football News 24/7
- 'I Know The Category I Belong In Super Eagles' - Mikel Agu Not Surprised Over World Cup Axe
- 'Both Of Them Were Serious Heartbreaks' - Iwobi Opens Up On Late Goals Conceded Vs Algeria, Argentina
- Ejuke Explains His Connection To Dutch-Born Heerenveen Midfielder Courted By Nigeria
- Premier League Clubs, Barca, Real Madrid Handed Transfer Boost As Osimhen Rejects Napoli
- Official : Eyoma Returns To Tottenham Hotspur; Adebayo-Smith, Edun Retained By Lincoln City
- Proof That Manchester United Center Back Mengi Is Not Eligible To Represent Nigeria
- What Does The Future Hold For Amos At Tottenham Hotspur?
- Olympiakos-Linked Striker Onyekuru Reveals His Preferred Destination
- Why Manchester United's Fastest Player Is Perfect For Nigeria Youth Teams
- Official : Two Nigerian Youngsters To Depart Norwich City At The End Of June
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football