Omeruo Hints Of Preference To Void La Liga As Leganes Struggle To Beat RelegationPublished: April 05, 2020
Super Eagles defender Kenneth Omeruo has hinted that he would prefer the current 2019/2020 season be voided due to the precarious position that his Spanish La Liga side Leganes find themselves before the suspension of league football across the world due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Leganes are currently occupying the 19th position in the La Liga table with 23 points in 27 matches and Omeruo who has played in 19 league matches for his side thus far this season with a goal to boot spoke to Smooth FM Lagos on his team's likelihood to escape relegation when football is concluded.
"I signed a five years contract and this is the first of that five years contract. There's still a lot of hope for us to escape relegation despite losing two of our strikers (Martin Braithwaite to Barcelona and Youssef En-Nesyri to Sevilla).
"That's why it hurts that this lockdown happened when we were on a resurgence because we won one and drew the other matches before football was put on a halt.
"There's talk of stopping the season without playing the rest of the (eleven) matches this season. Well, if that will mean no relegation for any team then I will happy," Omeruo enthused.
Speaking further on effects of the suspension of football, Omeruo said the presence of his immediate family has helped him to cope with it albeit is worried about his parents living in Nigeria.
" It's not been easy especially in the past one week. I used to wake up between 8 and 9am, straight to the showers and then off to the training but nobody can go out now unless to go to the supermarkets to buy essential needs.
"I'm just lucky to have my family with me otherwise it would have been crazy. I'm not scared here although the death tolls are high. I'm more worried about Nigeria and that's where my parents are now," the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner stressed.
The league in Spain has been suspended until further notice but Europe's football governing body, UEFA, wants all European leagues to conclude their seasons in August with matches expected to be played behind closed doors.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Babajide Sends Message To FA As Liverpool Are Relegated To Women's Championship
- AEK Athens, Besiktas In Talks With Released Wolverhampton Wanderers Striker?
- Former Sporting Charleroi Coach Points Out The Strengths And Weaknesses Of Osimhen
- 'One Of The Proudest Moments Of My Career' - Liverpool-Born Midfielder On Playing For Nigeria
- Norwegian-Nigerian Striker Anene Departs League Two Club Crewe Alexandra
- Photo : 18-Year-old Nigeria-Eligible Starlet Trains With Chelsea First Team
- Official : Wolfsburg's Felix Uduokhai Joins Augsburg On A Permanent Deal
- Premier League-Linked Striker Osimhen Compared To Ex-Man Utd Star By Former Coach
- Confirmed : Ex-Nigeria U23 Invitee Osaze Extends Contract With Sheffield Wednesday
- Exciting Winger Saka Name-checked Among 'Real Good Talents' At Arsenal
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football