Mainz Open Talks With Liverpool Over Extending Stay Of 2013 U17 World Cup Winner
Published: June 13, 2020
German Bundesliga side Mainz 05 have opened talks with Liverpool over retaining 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker Taiwo Awoniyi for next season.
Liverpool and Mainz were on the same page
regarding the premature termination of Awoniyi's loan deal in January but the striker stayed put in Germany because the European champions preferred to see the Nigerian play in a new league in order to enhance his
development, rather than returning to Belgium.
The Liverpool loanee has been enjoying a new lease of life since the resumption of the Bundesliga, starting the last three games played by Mainz and opened his account in the top-flight vs Cologne last month.
"I am very, very positive about him," Mainz sporting director Rouven Schroder told Bild.
"Taiwo never let himself down, always had his head up and the absolute will to improve was never negative. It is a symbol of how team sport works."
"Taiwo never let himself down, always had his head up and the absolute will to improve was never negative. It is a symbol of how team sport works."
On the possibility of keeping Awoniyi beyond this summer, Schroder said : "We are in an exchange with Liverpool, that is an open position.
"We are now waiting for the last games. Then we'll see what the next steps are".
Awoniyi is contracted to Liverpool until the end of the 2022-2023 season and previously spent time on loan at FSV Frankfurt, NEC Nijmegen, KAA Gent and Royal Excel Mouscron.
Igho Kingsley
Copyright ANS
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Latest News
- Super Eagles star joins Wolverhampton Wanderers in record-breaking deal, subject to medical
- England squads: 17 Nigerians called up including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Rangers starlets
- Nigeria squad announcement: Lookman, Osimhen, Iwobi, Aina, Dessers, 18 others called up for WCQs
- 'The club will update you' – Rangers manager deflects question on future of Dessers
- 'In the Afcon, we lose players' - Wolves boss on striker search amid links with Arokodare
- 'There is still room' – Liverpool boss leaves door open for birthday boy Ngumoha in Arsenal clash
- 'Improved a lot' – Eddie Howe hails Osula's progress before Newcastle's trip to Leeds United
- From NPFL to Europe: LouisianaBettingHub.com covers betting angles
- Transfer update on Fulham's pursuit of AC Milan and Super Eagles winger Chukwueze
- Bayern compete with PL clubs, Roma and Leipzig to sign Chelsea forward George


News Categories
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Bundesliga
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Casinos not on Gamstop
- Nigeria Premier League
- Vsbet
- F168
- F168
- MB88
- keo nha cai
- Norwegian Football
- Football Betting
- Polish Football
- VT88
- VT88
- sunwin
- sunwin
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Transfer
- Turkish Championship
- 1Win
- Ukrainian Football
- Uncategorized
- Women's Football
- SHBET
- F168
- F168
- F168
- F168
- hi88