'Jamie Still Looked Fresh' - Leicester Boss Explains Why Iheanacho Did Not Play Vs ChelseaPublished: June 28, 2020
Leicester City have crashed out of the FA Cup after losing 1-0 to Chelsea in a quarterfinal clash at the King Power Stadium on Sunday evening.
Off the bench at half-time as a replacement for Mason Mount, Ross Barkley netted what proved to be the game-winning goal at minute 63, volleying home a cross from Willian.
While Wilfred Ndidi went the distance for the Foxes, fellow Nigeria international Kelechi Iheanacho was surprisingly an unused substitute despite teams allowed to use up to five substitutes per match since the season restarted.
The FA Cup is Iheanacho's favourite competition since his move to England, with 10 goals spread across14 matches.
Brendan Rodgers selected Jamie Vardy, who was not involved in the Foxes last three games in the competition, to lead the line ahead of Iheanacho and the former England star went the full ninety.
Explaining why Iheanacho was not introduced off the bench, Rodgers told reporters at the post-match press conference : "Jamie still looked fresh. We thought he could still grab a goal. It was as simple as that."
Iheanacho has played 20 games in all competitions this term, of which 12 were starts.
Photo Credit : lcfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Southampton Sweat Over Fitness Of Versatile Playmaker Tella Pre-Manchester United
- Club Brugge Coach Convinced Sheffield United-Linked Dennis Is A Premier League Material
- Former West Ham Striker Points Out Major Difference Between Bukayo Saka And Chelsea's Hudson-Odoi
- Ex-Newcastle Star Reveals Okocha Almost On The Same Level As Barcelona Icon Ronaldinho
- 'Bruno Fernandes Is A Top Player' - Iheanacho Names Portuguese Among 3 Man Utd Stars That Could Derail Leicester's UCL Hopes
- Crotone's Super Eagles Star Close To Matching Personal Best After Netting 18th Goal Of Season
- England Manager Southgate To Run The Rule Over Nigeria Target Saka Against Manchester City
- Official : Former Chelsea Defender Rejects Contract Offer, Departs Cheltenham Town
- Augsburg Winger Noah Bazee Market Value Reaches Joint All-Time High
- Official : Austrian Bundesliga Club SC Rheindorf Altach Announce Signing Of Austrian-Nigerian Edokpolor
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football