2013 U17 World Cup Winner Returns To English Premier League Champions LiverpoolPublished: July 07, 2020
Mainz 05 sporting director Rouven Schröder has confirmed that 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker Taiwo Awoniyi has returned to his parent club Liverpool following the conclusion of the 2019-2020 season.
Mainz have a realistic chance of loaning the Nigeria U23 international for another season as he is not eligible to represent The Reds in the Premier League because of a work permit hurdle.
Awoniyi is contracted to the Premier League champions until June 2023 and assuming his paperwork was in place, he would be behind Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino in Jurgen Klopp's pecking order of strikers.
"He went back to Liverpool on July 1st, and we can imagine that things will continue for us under certain parameters," said Schröder to Kicker.
The 22-year-old Awoniyi previously enjoyed loan spells at FSV Frankfurt, NEC, Royal Excel Mouscron and KAA Gent, before joining Mainz on a season-long loan last August.
He made twelve appearances for the Zerofivers in the Bundesliga in the recently concluded season, scoring one goal against FC Cologne.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Confirmed : Tottenham Hotspur's Nigeria-Eligible Defender Eyoma Signs Two New Deals
- 'Always Believe' - Chelsea Loanee Moses Reacts To Inter Milan's Win Vs Bayer Leverkusen
- Nigeria U23 Defender Tipped For Return To Galatasaray After Unsuccessful Loan Spell
- Arsenal, West Ham, Palace-Linked Playmaker Eze Chooses His Preferred Destination
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Teenagers Land In Lisbon With Manchester City First Team Pre-Lyon
- Chelsea Loanee Victor Moses Called Upon From The Bench As Inter Beat Bayer Leverkusen
- 16-Year-Old Nigerian Defender Training Alongside Sancho And Co. At Borussia Dortmund Training Camp
- Stoke City Weighing Up Move For Champions League, Europa League Winner Mikel
- Glasgow Rangers New Star Balogun Named To Scottish Premiership TOTW
- 'Pogba Has Great Influence On The Pitch' - FC Copenhagen Hero Ijeh Backs Man Utd To Beat Danish Powerhouse
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football