Former Chelsea Defender Tasks Bukayo Saka On Favourite Position For ArsenalPublished: July 07, 2020
Former Chelsea, Birmingham City and Wigan Athletic right back Mario Melchiot has tasked versatile Arsenal youngster Bukayo Saka to identity his best position at the club despite admitting to be a fan of the player's abilities in different roles.
Anglo-Nigerian Saka who recently signed a contract extension at Arsenal is naturally a left winger but has been deployed at left-back and left wing-back positions where he also impressed.
Melchiot speaking on Sky Sports' The Football Show programme from his Amsterdam, Holland base on Tuesday ahead of Arsenal's clash against Leicester City said:
"I like young players well because they get opportunities. I watched Bukayo Saka and he played in defence at left back and also at left wing-back and as a winger," Melchiot stated.
"That means he can fit into many roles and (Mikel) Arteta saw something that he really likes. He (Saka) caught my eye and there's so much work to come from him and that's why I like him because he's incredible and very comfortable on the ball.
"He's (Saka) got attacking and defending attributes, he can beat a player and defend well and it's really important in a team but I'm looking forward to when Saka will say 'I want to focus on a particular position and this is the one that I'm best at' because I think he's a really talented young man and I really enjoy watching him," the defender who made 130 league appearances for Chelsea and had 22 caps for the Netherlands concluded.
Saka's half volley against Wolverhampton Wanderers culminated in his first Premier League for the Gunners.
Experienced striker Alexandre Lacazette scored the second goal with a superbly taken strike to ensure a 2-0 win over Wolves on Saturday evening.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Confirmed : Tottenham Hotspur's Nigeria-Eligible Defender Eyoma Signs Two New Deals
- 'Always Believe' - Chelsea Loanee Moses Reacts To Inter Milan's Win Vs Bayer Leverkusen
- Nigeria U23 Defender Tipped For Return To Galatasaray After Unsuccessful Loan Spell
- Arsenal, West Ham, Palace-Linked Playmaker Eze Chooses His Preferred Destination
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Teenagers Land In Lisbon With Manchester City First Team Pre-Lyon
- Chelsea Loanee Victor Moses Called Upon From The Bench As Inter Beat Bayer Leverkusen
- 16-Year-Old Nigerian Defender Training Alongside Sancho And Co. At Borussia Dortmund Training Camp
- Stoke City Weighing Up Move For Champions League, Europa League Winner Mikel
- Glasgow Rangers New Star Balogun Named To Scottish Premiership TOTW
- 'Pogba Has Great Influence On The Pitch' - FC Copenhagen Hero Ijeh Backs Man Utd To Beat Danish Powerhouse
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football