Arsenal Coach Arteta Explains Exactly Why Saka Did Not Start In 2-1 Loss To Tottenham HotspurPublished: July 12, 2020
Tottenham Hotspur have gone above Arsenal in the Premier League standings after beating the Gunners 2-1 in their first visit to the new stadium on Sunday evening.
As for team news, Anglo-Nigerian winger Bukayo Saka, who has done well for Arsenal lately, was surprisingly not named in the starting lineup, with manager Mikel Arteta picking Nicolas Pepe over the Anglo-Nigerian.
The England U19 international would later come off the bench to replace Pepe with 20 minutes remaining and with both teams tied at 1-1.
It was going well for Arsenal when Alexandre Lacazette opened the scoring with a sensational shot from outside the box in the 16th minute but the lead lasted barely two minutes as Heung-Min Son brought Spurs back on level terms with a neat finish after a defensive blunder by David Luiz.
Nine minutes from time, Belgian center back Toby Alderweireld headed home a corner which ended up winning the game for Jose Mourinho's team.
Prior to the match against Tottenham, Saka had started all but one of the matches played by the Gunners and Arteta explained just before the start of today's game that the versatile winger was rested with an eye on the upcoming matches.
When asked why Saka was omitted from the starting lineup, Arteta told Sky Sports : "He has played a lot of games, we have a lot of games coming up, we have to still rotate some players. We have some issues during the week".
Up next for Bukayo Saka and his Arsenal teammates, they welcome the new champions Liverpool to the Emirates Stadium on Wednesday, July 15.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Confirmed : Tottenham Hotspur's Nigeria-Eligible Defender Eyoma Signs Two New Deals
- 'Always Believe' - Chelsea Loanee Moses Reacts To Inter Milan's Win Vs Bayer Leverkusen
- Nigeria U23 Defender Tipped For Return To Galatasaray After Unsuccessful Loan Spell
- Arsenal, West Ham, Palace-Linked Playmaker Eze Chooses His Preferred Destination
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Teenagers Land In Lisbon With Manchester City First Team Pre-Lyon
- Chelsea Loanee Victor Moses Called Upon From The Bench As Inter Beat Bayer Leverkusen
- 16-Year-Old Nigerian Defender Training Alongside Sancho And Co. At Borussia Dortmund Training Camp
- Stoke City Weighing Up Move For Champions League, Europa League Winner Mikel
- Glasgow Rangers New Star Balogun Named To Scottish Premiership TOTW
- 'Pogba Has Great Influence On The Pitch' - FC Copenhagen Hero Ijeh Backs Man Utd To Beat Danish Powerhouse
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football