'He Told Us To Play Our Football' - Ex-Inter Star Obinna Says Mourinho Kept Close Tabs On YoungstersPublished: October 26, 2020
Former Nigeria international Victor Obinna has revealed that Jose Mourinho closely monitored the young players in the squad while he was coaching Inter Milan.
Obinna was a member of the Inter Milan team that won the Serie A in the 2008-2009 season under the tutelage of the famous Portuguese football tactician.
Mourinho brought the then 21-year-old winger into the first team fold at Inter Milan after starring for Nigeria at the 2008 Olympic Games, finishing as the second top scorer in the tournament with 3 goals and helping the country win the silver medal.
"He (Mourinho) was very attentive to young people. Me, Santon, Balotelli. He told us to play our football," Obinna said to Gianluca Di Marzio.
"We had great masters on the pitch, like Ibrahimovic. He always wanted to win. If he lost a match in training he would get angry with his teammates. His favorite target was Viera".
Obinna has recollected the only goal he managed to score in a Nerazzurri shirt, on his full debut against AS Roma in October 2008.
He added : "It was the best year of my life. We won the Scudetto and I scored a great goal against Roma".
Obinna was taken to Italy by former Chelsea star Pierluigi Casiraghi who used to be a talent spotter working for Inter Milan.
Photo Credit : inter.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Product Of Nigerian Descent Akpan Trying His Luck At Football League Club
- Manchester United Striker Ighalo Delighted To Make Champions League Debut Vs PSG
- 'Why Take Off Cavani And Bring On Ighalo' - Man Utd Fans Baffled By Solskjaer's Decision To Hand UCL Debut To Nigerian
- Photo : Nigeria-Eligible Teenager Involved In Arsenal's Final Workout Pre-Rapid Vienna
- Super Eagles Striker Osimhen To Miss Napoli's Europa League Clash Against AZ Alkmaar
- Former Chelsea And Liverpool Striker Solanke Named To Championship Team Of The Month
- 'He's A Very Talented Young Man' - Campbell Urges Arsenal To Tie Balogun Down To New Deal
- Liverpool Loanee Ojo Reacts After Registering Two Assists In Cardiff City's Win Vs Huddersfield
- Garba Lawal Stirs Up A Hornet's Nest By Blasting Eagles For Lacking Leaders In Mould Of Eguavoen
- Midtjylland's Super Eagles Star Nicknamed The Tank Gets Very Good Ratings After Display In Italy
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football