Nigeria 4 Sierra Leone 4 : Iwobi Nets Brace As Super Eagles Surrender Four-Goal LeadPublished: November 13, 2020
Three time African champions Nigeria Friday evening survived a huge scare as they let up a four goal lead against Sierra Leone to draw 4-4 in their 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at the Samuel Ogbemudia stadium, Benin City, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
The Eagles who were dominant in the first half but poor after the break scored four goals in the first stanza with Everton forward Alex Iwobi putting the Eagles ahead in the 4th minute.
Napoli's Victor Osimhen pounced on a Zaidu Sanusi cross to double Nigeria's lead in the 21st minute from close range.
Iwobi grabbed his second goal and Nigeria's third with arguably his best for the team with a superb strike from outside the bos with 27 minutes played.
Samuel Chukwueze then made it 4-0 but Kwame Quee reduced the arrears with a minute left to play in the first half.
The second half was a different outcome as the Sierra Leone side scored three more goals inspired by the dangerous Al-Hadji Kamara amid atrocious piece of defending by Gernot Rohr's team who could have gone closer to clinching their place in the 2021 AFCON in Cameroon.
The Super Eagles will face Sierra Leone in the reverse leg of the fixtures on Tuesday, November 17.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Rangers' Balogun, Spartak Moscow's Moses named in Europa League best eleven
- Chelsea and Tottenham academy products hail Balogun after first goal for Glasgow Rangers
- Lokomotiv Moscow coach provides injury update on Chelsea-owned winger Anjorin
- Mertens impressed by Osimhen as Super Eagles striker equals Napoli record
- 'We're be lucky to keep hold of him' - Rangers boss fuels transfer speculation about Aribo
- Rangers boss provides worrying update on Balogun ahead of Nigeria squad announcement
- Super Eagles trio Awoniyi, Osimhen, Odey takes season tally to 10, 9, 8; ex-AC Milan star on target
- Balogun celebrates his first goal in Rangers colours but goes off injured in win vs Brondby
- Team of the Week honours for Luton Town's Adebayo and Northampton Town's Koiki
- Aston Villa keen to offer new deal to Nigeria-eligible midfielder to ward off interest
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football