Nigeria 4 Sierra Leone 4 : Iwobi Nets Brace As Super Eagles Surrender Four-Goal LeadPublished: November 13, 2020
Three time African champions Nigeria Friday evening survived a huge scare as they let up a four goal lead against Sierra Leone to draw 4-4 in their 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at the Samuel Ogbemudia stadium, Benin City, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
The Eagles who were dominant in the first half but poor after the break scored four goals in the first stanza with Everton forward Alex Iwobi putting the Eagles ahead in the 4th minute.
Napoli's Victor Osimhen pounced on a Zaidu Sanusi cross to double Nigeria's lead in the 21st minute from close range.
Iwobi grabbed his second goal and Nigeria's third with arguably his best for the team with a superb strike from outside the bos with 27 minutes played.
Samuel Chukwueze then made it 4-0 but Kwame Quee reduced the arrears with a minute left to play in the first half.
The second half was a different outcome as the Sierra Leone side scored three more goals inspired by the dangerous Al-Hadji Kamara amid atrocious piece of defending by Gernot Rohr's team who could have gone closer to clinching their place in the 2021 AFCON in Cameroon.
The Super Eagles will face Sierra Leone in the reverse leg of the fixtures on Tuesday, November 17.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Stoke City boss tells Mikel he hopes to get 'that player on loan from Chelsea' again next season
- Man Utd's Nigerian striker reaches double figures in goals and assists after hat-trick vs Boro U18s
- Super Eagles dazzler Chidera Ejuke back on the scoresheet for CSKA Moscow
- 2003-born Sparta Rotterdam striker Emegha dedicates first professional goal to deceased teammate
- 'Toyed with Sheffield United whole game' - Ex-Chelsea stars hail Palace's Eze after sensational display
- Napoli striker Osimhen highlighted as one of the top 5 talents in Europe after brace vs Spezia
- Championship final day : Watford's Success, Reading's Olise, Wycombe's Onyedinma on target
- Bucchi says Osimhen is physically superior to Higuain but ex-Chelsea striker better in one area
- Why Nigerian-born midfielder was omitted from Arsenal squad against West Ham in PL2
- Champions League-chasing Atalanta join Sevilla in race for 26-goal striker Sadiq
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football