Ex-Nigeria Target Saka Cap-tied To England For Good As Arsenal Wing-back Plays Fourth GamePublished: November 18, 2020
With his appearance today in a UEFA Nations League match between England and Iceland, Arsenal wing-back Bukayo Saka is no longer eligible to represent the Nigerian national teams, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
The talented teenager now has four matches under his belt for the Three Lions, exceeding the threshold for him to switch nationality to Nigeria in the future.
Under FIFA's new rule on eligibility, it would have been possible for Saka to request for a change of association if he wished assuming he wasn't handed his fourth international cap by Gareth Southgate and wasn't fielded again for the next three years.
The Hale End Academy product would have become cap-tied to England for good when he made his competitive debut against Belgium on November 15, based on the old rules.
The London-born Saka benefited from uncertainty over the fitness of England's first choice left-back Ben Chilwell, with Southgate handing minutes to the Arsenal wonderkid in all the three matches played by the Three Lions in November.
He started against Republic of Ireland, then came on to replace the Chelsea star in the 38th minute vs Belgium, before going the full ninety in today's clash with Iceland.
Saka has followed in the footsteps of Chelsea trio Ross Barkley, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori, and Tottenham Hotspur's Dele Alli who are permanently tied to the English Football Association despite their Nigerian background.
Photo Credit : thefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Product Of Nigerian Descent Akpan Trying His Luck At Football League Club
- Manchester United Striker Ighalo Delighted To Make Champions League Debut Vs PSG
- 'Why Take Off Cavani And Bring On Ighalo' - Man Utd Fans Baffled By Solskjaer's Decision To Hand UCL Debut To Nigerian
- Photo : Nigeria-Eligible Teenager Involved In Arsenal's Final Workout Pre-Rapid Vienna
- Super Eagles Striker Osimhen To Miss Napoli's Europa League Clash Against AZ Alkmaar
- Former Chelsea And Liverpool Striker Solanke Named To Championship Team Of The Month
- 'He's A Very Talented Young Man' - Campbell Urges Arsenal To Tie Balogun Down To New Deal
- Liverpool Loanee Ojo Reacts After Registering Two Assists In Cardiff City's Win Vs Huddersfield
- Garba Lawal Stirs Up A Hornet's Nest By Blasting Eagles For Lacking Leaders In Mould Of Eguavoen
- Midtjylland's Super Eagles Star Nicknamed The Tank Gets Very Good Ratings After Display In Italy
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football