Rohr's Selection Mistakes Might Cost Super Eagles In A Big WayPublished: November 19, 2020
Super Eagles' coach, Gernot Rohr has been put under the microscope with his questionable selections in the two 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches played this month.
Nigeria played two matches over the past week and were disappointing in both matches. The Super Eagles drew both matches against a Sierra Leone team that is currently ranked 120th in the world.
The first match between the 2 teams was the most shocking as the 'three-time' Nations Cup winners surrendered a 4-goal lead to the Leone Stars.
One of the talking points of the match was Gernot Rohr playing Akpoguma on the right of defense while having Ola Aina on the bench.
To make matters worse, the gaffer didn't sub off the 25-year old central defender despite it being obvious that he was struggling in the game with the 2nd and 3rd goal coming from his wing.
Akpoguma is naturally a central defender and although he is capable of playing at full-back, he shouldn't be doing that at the expense of players who are natural in that position.
If you had thought that that Rohr played Akpoguma in the first game due to lack of options, then what happened in the second leg would shock you as the German tactician started him again at right-back and used Ola Aina at left-back.
This happened with Zaidu Sanusi and Jamilu Collins on the bench. Although Ola Aina can play on both sides of the defense, it only makes sense that he plays on the right side where he has played all season for his club especially considering that position lacked more options.
With the current crop of players that Nigeria has now, it would be sad if our coach's selection errors cost us trophies in what could turn out to be another 'Golden Generation' for Nigeria.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Product Of Nigerian Descent Akpan Trying His Luck At Football League Club
- Manchester United Striker Ighalo Delighted To Make Champions League Debut Vs PSG
- 'Why Take Off Cavani And Bring On Ighalo' - Man Utd Fans Baffled By Solskjaer's Decision To Hand UCL Debut To Nigerian
- Photo : Nigeria-Eligible Teenager Involved In Arsenal's Final Workout Pre-Rapid Vienna
- Super Eagles Striker Osimhen To Miss Napoli's Europa League Clash Against AZ Alkmaar
- Former Chelsea And Liverpool Striker Solanke Named To Championship Team Of The Month
- 'He's A Very Talented Young Man' - Campbell Urges Arsenal To Tie Balogun Down To New Deal
- Liverpool Loanee Ojo Reacts After Registering Two Assists In Cardiff City's Win Vs Huddersfield
- Garba Lawal Stirs Up A Hornet's Nest By Blasting Eagles For Lacking Leaders In Mould Of Eguavoen
- Midtjylland's Super Eagles Star Nicknamed The Tank Gets Very Good Ratings After Display In Italy
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football