2021 U17 AFCONQ : Golden Eaglets Handed Lifeline With Ivory Coast Win Against GhanaPublished: January 12, 2021
Five-time world champions Nigeria have been handed an unexpected lifeline to qualify for the 2021 Africa U17 Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast beating Ghana in the zonal qualifiers on Tuesday evening.
The Baby Elephants defeated the The Black Starlets 3-1 at the Stade Municipal, Lomé, leaving them top of the group with maximum six points from their two games in Group B.
Nigeria and bitter rivals Ghana finished on one point each but it's the Golden Eaglets that go through to the semifinals thanks to their better goal difference.
The Fatai Amoo led side were walking a qualification tightrope after losing 1-0 in their opener against Ivory Coast, before being held to a 1-1 draw by Ghana last weekend.
Joseph Arumala had given Nigeria the lead from the spot in the 83rd minute, only for Issahaku to equalize with three minutes remaining.
Nigeria face Burkina Faso, winners of Group A, on Friday, January 15, hoping to clinch a final spot and qualification to the 2021 U17 AFCON holding in Morocco later this year.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Former Nigeria U17 invitee reacts after youth team debut for Chelsea
- PSG star, ex-Aston Villa striker, 21 others named in Benin provisional squad to face Nigeria AFCONQ
- 'Beautiful' - Ex-Barcelona striker hails Iheanacho for phenomenal goal against Burnley
- 'Has been one of Fulham's top players' - Palace boss Hodgson praises Lookman
- Chelsea defender sent off for bringing down Atlético Madrid's Ajibade As Super Falcon Makes UWCL debut
- Man Utd coach Solskjaer explains decision to leave Shoretire on the bench against Palace
- Crotone's Simy continues to push for Eagles recall with 8th Serie A goal, Nantes' Simon on target
- 'Intelligent play' - England legend Shearer lauds Vardy for part he played in Iheanacho's magnificent goal
- Iheanacho's brilliant volley, assisted by Ndidi rescues Leicester City against Burnley
- 'I do that all the time' - NFF boss Pinnick explains why Super Eagles may travel by boat to Benin
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football