Gattuso Happy Over Osimhen's Return As Napoli Create Club Record In Loss To VeronaPublished: January 24, 2021
Napoli coach Gennaro Gattuso was delighted to see the club's most expensive signing in history, Victor Osimhen return to action as his side were beaten 3-1 by Verona in a Serie A clash on Sunday.
The Nigeria international came off the bench in the 65th minute as a replacement for Andrea Petagna - his first appearance for club and country in 72 days.
Hirving Lozano's strike after 8.9 seconds set a new club record for fastest ever goal scored by a Napoli player in the Italian Serie A.
Federico Dimarco scored the equaliser for the home team in the 34th minute, then Antonin Barak made it 2-1 from a difficult angle just past the hour mark before Mattia Zaccagni headed home in the 79th minute.
Speaking to Sky Sport Italia after the match, Gattuso said : "Now you have to be clear with your head, despite the regret.
"We are happy with the return of Osimhen and Mertens, they are not very well but it is normal because they have not played for a long time".
Osimhen missed sixteen games in total during his spell on the sidelines, consisting of three in the Europa League, eleven in the Serie A, one Coppa Italia and the Super Cup final vs Juventus.
Photo Credit : sscnapoli.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles defender Balogun undergoes late fitness test ahead of Glasgow Rangers vs St Mirren
- Nigeria And Napoli handed Osimhen injury boost as striker receives medical green light
- Rodgers reveals Iheanacho will be important for Leicester City in last eleven Premier League games
- Balogun fit enough to make bench, Azeez returns from injury as Arsenal, Southampton B play out draw
- Leicester coach hints at permitting Iheanacho, Ndidi to link up with Super Eagles for AFCONQ
- Photo Confirmation : Chelsea-reared midfielder Musiala inks new contract with Bayern Munich
- Ndidi tells Leicester coach he wants to be in midfield, happy to assist Iheanacho score stunning volley
- Teenage Nigeria-eligible goalkeeper returns to Arsenal training after more than a month out with injury
- 'Very contentious decision' - Josh Maja gives his take on disallowed goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Denmark defender urges Super Eagles striker to shun Glasgow Celtic for Premier League or Bundesliga
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football