Nigeria 1 Uzbekistan 0 : Ayinde's Half-Volley Enough For Win ; Two American-born Players DebutPublished: February 20, 2021
Halimat Ayinde's second half strike was enough for African champions Nigeria to beat Uzbekistan at the ongoing Turkish Women's Cup on Saturday evening.
Super Falcons new manager Randy Waldrum handed a full debut to former United States youth-teamer Toni Payne and another American-born player in Patricia George was introduced in the second half for her debut.
It was goalless at the break but the Falcons showed great improvement compared to their first game against CSKA Moscow, especially with possession, marking and running to space.
The breakthrough finally arrived for Nigeria two minutes into the second half as Ayinde half-volleyed the ball past the goalkeeper from close range after a lovely cross from the right.
On 59 minutes, the Asians were shown a yellow card after Barcelona striker Asisat Oshoala was pulled back on her way to score.
George came on for Chidinma Okeke and looked lively playing in a different position.
Four minutes from time, Uchenna Kanu was presented with a golden chance to double the advantage but her shot was not on target.
The Super Falcons were able to hold on for their second victory and kept another clean sheet; they trade tackles with Equatorial Guinea this coming Tuesday.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea release promising Nigerian midfielder ahead of 2021-2022 season
- Super Eagles striker Osimhen named in Napoli's 24-man provisional squad to face Bologna
- Former Man City schoolboy of Nigerian descent named in Man Utd provisional squad for derby
- 'He's done it again' - Ex-Barcelona striker salutes Iheanacho after another goal for Leicester City
- Red-hot Orlando City loanee Daryl Dike scores third goal in four games as Barnsley make history
- 'The Nigerian has been their star man' - Ex-Norwich striker praises Iheanacho after excellent display vs Brighton
- Wolverhampton Wanderers urged to sign Fulham winger Lookman if Traore is sold
- 'Tella was the man of the match today' - Southampton coach lauds Nigeria target after brilliant display
- Miguel Azeez's brother, Femi makes his senior debut as Reading thrash Sheffield Wednesday
- Ex-Man Utd star Hargreaves hails Southampton's Tella as best player on the pitch vs Sheffield United
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football