Chukwueze named King of the Match despite Villarreal's loss to Atletico de MadridPublished: March 01, 2021
Unai Emery's Villarreal are still without a win after seven La Liga matches following their 2-0 loss to table-toppers Atlético de Madrid at the Estadio de la Ceramica on Sunday night.
Making his first La Liga start of this calendar year, Samuel Chukwueze was astonishingly named King of the Match despite the Yellow Submarine's defeat.
Playing on the right side of attack, the Nigeria international's pace and trickery caused problems for the Atlético de Madrid defence though sometimes his delivery into the box was poor.
Chukwueze made four key passes over the course of ninety minutes, more than any other player on the pitch.
Bereft of ideas, the Villarreal players were consistently looking for Chukwueze on the right but the visitors defence was not breached.
An own goal from Alfonso Pedraza separated the two teams at half-time, the former Spain U21 international putting into his own net after Savic's header was saved by goalkeeper Asenjo and the rebound hit the defender.
Villarreal were still in the game until the 69th minute when João Félix, on as a substitute at half-time, doubled Atlético de Madrid's advantage with a shot from the edge of the box.
Photo Credit : atleticodemadrid.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Osimhen costing more than Haaland : Serie A legend confident Nigerian will deliver for Napoli
- Chelsea loanee Ugbo nets brace in Cercle Brugge's 3-0 rout of Oud-Heverlee Leuven
- Crotone's Simy two goals away from breaking Nigerian record held by ex-Blackburn striker Yakubu
- EFL: Barnsley's Dike, Luton's Adebayo, Bournemouth's Solanke, Wigan's Solomon-Otabor on target
- Azeez involved in Arsenal's final training session before trip to Sheffield United
- Dutch-Nigerian winger Ideho scores third goal in four games for Arsenal U18s in loss to Fulham
- 'They are doing very well' - Victor Moses backing Chelsea to win the Champions League
- Trabzonspor issue medical bulletin on experienced winger Anthony Nwakaeme
- Announcement imminent by Arsenal as talented striker Balogun agrees new multi-year contract
- West Ham striker Odubeko scores hat-trick against former club Manchester United
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football