Chukwueze named King of the Match despite Villarreal's loss to Atletico de MadridPublished: March 01, 2021
Unai Emery's Villarreal are still without a win after seven La Liga matches following their 2-0 loss to table-toppers Atlético de Madrid at the Estadio de la Ceramica on Sunday night.
Making his first La Liga start of this calendar year, Samuel Chukwueze was astonishingly named King of the Match despite the Yellow Submarine's defeat.
Playing on the right side of attack, the Nigeria international's pace and trickery caused problems for the Atlético de Madrid defence though sometimes his delivery into the box was poor.
Chukwueze made four key passes over the course of ninety minutes, more than any other player on the pitch.
Bereft of ideas, the Villarreal players were consistently looking for Chukwueze on the right but the visitors defence was not breached.
An own goal from Alfonso Pedraza separated the two teams at half-time, the former Spain U21 international putting into his own net after Savic's header was saved by goalkeeper Asenjo and the rebound hit the defender.
Villarreal were still in the game until the 69th minute when João Félix, on as a substitute at half-time, doubled Atlético de Madrid's advantage with a shot from the edge of the box.
Photo Credit : atleticodemadrid.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- WAFCONQ: Five observations from Super Falcons come-from-behind win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2: Super-sub Okoronkwo, Ajibade on target in come-from-behind win
- Bayer Leverkusen coach hints at strike partner for 'strong and technically excellent' Boniface
- 10 players including 3 invited to Nigeria national teams in the past in the running for Crystal Palace GOTM
- The top-rated Nigerian players in the Premier Leagues of Europe
- 'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting games
- Houston Dynamo decline contract option for two Nigerian-born players; ex-Flying Eagles star Aliyu retained
- Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to Nigeria
- 'If they are called up, they will go' - Bayer chief confirms Boniface and Tella will be released to NFF for AFCON
- AFCON 2023: Should Rangers defender Leon Balogun be recalled to the national team?
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football