In-demand Crotone's 19-goal striker Simy reveals why he supported Arsenal as a boyPublished: May 01, 2021
Crotone striker Simeon Tochukwu Nwanwko has admitted that he supported Arsenal when he was growing up due to the exploits of Super Eagles legend Nwankwo Kanu at the club.
Olympic gold medalist with the Dream Team in 1996, Kanu spent five years at the Gunners, winning two Premier League titles and two FA Cup medals before leaving the north London club.
Crotone's relegation from the Italian Serie A was finally confirmed on Saturday evening after they were beaten 2-0 by Antonio Conte's Inter Milan.
Simy has had a banner season at the Sharks, scoring nineteen goals and the relegation of Crotone has opened the doors for his departure in the summer.
The 28-year-old is not lacking suitors with clubs based in Italy, Spain, Turkey and Belgium credited with an interest.
"Respect the rules, be a professional, an example. I will try to do better and better, because football and life are a continuous evolution. And I am sure that in the end I will get what I deserve," Simy said to Sportweek via Area Napoli.
"When I was a kid, the teams I was cheering for Arsenal because Kanu was playing there and I liked another Italian team so much, AC Milan belonging to another African, George Weah. "
Simy is Nigeria's record goalscorer in the history of the Italian Serie A with 29 goals in 78 matches for Crotone.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Chelsea ready to break African transfer record for a GK to sign ex-Barcelona star
- Chukwueze and Moffi nominated for Europa Conference League Goal of the Tournament
- Cremonese and Rangers continue to thrash out terms for transfer of Super Eagles striker
- 2023 AFCONQ: Adebayo Adeleye has to prove himself in the absence of suspended Uzoho
- Manu Garba names eight players he groomed who have been called up for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- 'Has great prospects' - Manu Garba reveals Super Eagles invitee Nwachukwu is a star of the future
- Official: Lagos-born Man Utd youth product joins Hungarian champions Ferencvaros
- Super Eagles invitee Nwachukwu on target but Bendel Insurance's 21-match unbeaten run ends
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football