Moses's Spartak, Olayinka's Slavia, Onyeka's FCM, Onuachu's Genk walking UCLQ tightropePublished: August 05, 2021
Victor Moses's Spartak Moscow, Paul Onuachu's Racing Genk, Peter Olayinka's Slavia Prague and Raphael Onyedika's FC Midtjylland are walking a Champions League tightrope after losing the first leg of their third qualifying fixtures this week.
2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner Moses managed to pass a fitness test and came off the bench for the last 22 minutes as Spartak Moscow were beaten 2-0 by Benfica at the Otkrytiye Arena in Moscow.
Rafa Silva and Gilberto scored for the Portuguese club in the second half.
At the Luminus Arena, Onuachu who has been widely rumoured to be leaving the Belgian Cup winners this month, opened his account for the season but could not prevent Racing Genk from losing 2-1 to Shakhtar Donetsk.
Tete, from the spot, cancelled out Onuachu's opener in the 53rd minute before Alan Patrick's 81st minute winner.
In an all-Nigerian match at Philips Stadion (Eindhoven), with Nonso Madueke for PSV and Raphael Onyedika for FC Midtjylland, the Danish side need a miracle to progress to the playoffs after they were beaten 3-0.
Madueke got the Eredivisie side on their way when he netted the opener in the 19th minute, Götze doubled their lead ten minutes later and Gako tapped home in the 32nd minute for a convincing win.
Both Onyedika and Madueke logged ninety minutes for their respective clubs.
At the Groupama Aréna in Budapest, Ferencváros ran out 2-0 winners against last season's Europa League surprise package Slavia Prague, with an own goal from Taras Kacharaba and Igor Kharatin's penalty deciding the game.
Super Eagles striker Peter Olayinka is still relevant at the Czech champions, entering the game as a substitute at half-time.
The second leg of the Champions League third qualifying round fixtures will take place next week.
Photo Credit : spartak.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Delta State Governor appoints ex-Super Eagles star Sodje Special Assistant on Sports
- Former Man Utd striker Ighalo continues his white-hot form; Hammarby's Amoo on target too
- Victor Osimhen scores for the third game in a row as Napoli thrash Sampdoria
- Penalty not given : Genk hitman Onuachu not happy about referee's 'big boy' comments
- 'Onyeka was playing vs Liverpool last season' - Pundit on Brentford's project in debut EPL campaign
- EPL pundit challenges Watford's Dennis to maintain consistency across course of the season
- Ferguson convinced Glasgow Rangers' Super Eagles star has suitors in England
- Leicester City assistant coach praises Ndidi for part he played in Iheanacho's goal vs Millwall
- Iheanacho on his goal vs Millwall, why he didn't pass to Daka, part played in Lookman's strike
- Nigerian exports : Onuachu brace; Kalu's goal salvages draw for Bordeaux; Apollon's Dauda strikes
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football