Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2 : Osimhen on target as Super Eagles come from behind to beat Blue SharksPublished: September 07, 2021
Nigeria claimed all three points on Tuesday in their second Group C 2022 World Cup qualifier against Cape Verde away at the Estádio Municipal Adérito Sena, Mindelo.
The three-time African champions went behind in the 20th minute when Cape Verde's Dylan Tavares pounced on a lofted pass from midfield and beat the Nigerians' offside trap and hit the ball past Maduka Okoye in goal.
Chidera Ejuke went close to equalising for the Eagles but his rasping shot in the 28th minute was brilliantly parried away for a corner kick by Cape Verde goalkeeper Vozinha.
Napoli striker Victor Osimhen however restored parity two minutes later as he finished from close range after the hosts' goalkeeper failed to claw away the ball effectively after a defender inadvertently deflected a Jamilu Collins cross.
Osimhen presented a scoring chance for Ahmed Musa in the 56th minute with a great cross but the captain's ensuing shot was tame and easily gathered by Vozinha.
Kenny Santos under pressure from Onyekuru gifted the Nigerians a goal when his horrible back pass in the 76th minute beat Vozinha who was out of his lines.
Julio Tavares's 88th minute header almost beat Maduka Okoye in goal for Nigeria but the ball agonizingly came off the foot of the post and rolled out for a goal kick.
Nigeria top Group C of the 2022 World Cup qualifiers with six points, three more than Liberia, while Cape Verde and Central African Republic have one point each.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Racing Genk boss to make key decision on Onuachu after missing 3 of his last 4 spot-kicks
- Super Eagles target comes off bench to provide assist as Crystal Palace held by Arsenal
- Teenage Nigerian striker reacts after signing new deal with Chelsea
- Mane vs Salah : Ex-African POTY reveals the better of the two Liverpool stars
- 'He unsettled Maguire' - Former Fox hails Iheanacho for first half display vs Man Utd
- 'He's better than Lukaku' - West Ham legend makes bold claim about Napoli striker Osimhen
- Man City product, eligible for Nigeria & England, hints at switching allegiance to Germany
- Ex-Rangers boss reacts to reports Aribo could replace Chelsea-owned midfielder at Crystal Palace
- CSKA Moscow dazzler Ejuke named in Russian PL TOTW after completing nine dribbles
- Leicester star Ndidi makes prediction about Daka after striker's first Premier League goal
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football