CEO clarifies Racing Genk won't block transfer of Super Eagle despite contract extensionPublished: September 21, 2021
Racing Genk CEO Erik Gerits has clarified that the Belgian Cup winners will not block the transfer of Paul Onuachu in the upcoming transfer windows despite the striker putting pen to paper on a new contract.
The Nigeria national teamer is now tied to Racing Genk until the summer of 2024 after signing a one-year contract extension this week.
Gerits revealed that the former FC Midtjylland man was rewarded with a new improved deal due to his recent exploits.
"We wanted to appreciate Paul for what he means to KRC Genk ," Erik Gerits told HBvL, according to voetbalkrant.
"When such an important contract breaks open, a new salary is part of it. On the other hand, the mutual bond is also strengthened, we are stronger in our shoes because the player will not enter his last contract year after this season."
Onuachu waited for a dream switch to the English Premier League in the summer transfer window but a transfer did not go through as the clubs he was offered to including West Ham United and Brighton & Hove didn't firm up their interest by making official bids to the Limburg club.
"We communicate very openly with each other, Paul also knows that we will never stop him if he can realize his dream transfer. But then on the conditions that are right for him and for us.
"Until it comes to that, Paul will be optimal in this. You can feel that already. Onuachu is a phenomenon, as our technical director and coach already indicated.
"In Belgium and in Europe, not only in terms of numbers but also in the interaction," Erik Gerits added.
Onuachu picked up the Ebony Shoe, Golden Boot and Belgian Professional Footballer of the Year awards following a banner 2020-2021 campaign that saw him score 35 goals in all competitions.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Racing Genk boss to make key decision on Onuachu after missing 3 of his last 4 spot-kicks
- Super Eagles target comes off bench to provide assist as Crystal Palace held by Arsenal
- Teenage Nigerian striker reacts after signing new deal with Chelsea
- Mane vs Salah : Ex-African POTY reveals the better of the two Liverpool stars
- 'He unsettled Maguire' - Former Fox hails Iheanacho for first half display vs Man Utd
- 'He's better than Lukaku' - West Ham legend makes bold claim about Napoli striker Osimhen
- Man City product, eligible for Nigeria & England, hints at switching allegiance to Germany
- Ex-Rangers boss reacts to reports Aribo could replace Chelsea-owned midfielder at Crystal Palace
- CSKA Moscow dazzler Ejuke named in Russian PL TOTW after completing nine dribbles
- Leicester star Ndidi makes prediction about Daka after striker's first Premier League goal
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football