CEO clarifies Racing Genk won't block transfer of Super Eagle despite contract extensionPublished: September 21, 2021
Racing Genk CEO Erik Gerits has clarified that the Belgian Cup winners will not block the transfer of Paul Onuachu in the upcoming transfer windows despite the striker putting pen to paper on a new contract.
The Nigeria national teamer is now tied to Racing Genk until the summer of 2024 after signing a one-year contract extension this week.
Gerits revealed that the former FC Midtjylland man was rewarded with a new improved deal due to his recent exploits.
"We wanted to appreciate Paul for what he means to KRC Genk ," Erik Gerits told HBvL, according to voetbalkrant.
"When such an important contract breaks open, a new salary is part of it. On the other hand, the mutual bond is also strengthened, we are stronger in our shoes because the player will not enter his last contract year after this season."
Onuachu waited for a dream switch to the English Premier League in the summer transfer window but a transfer did not go through as the clubs he was offered to including West Ham United and Brighton & Hove didn't firm up their interest by making official bids to the Limburg club.
"We communicate very openly with each other, Paul also knows that we will never stop him if he can realize his dream transfer. But then on the conditions that are right for him and for us.
"Until it comes to that, Paul will be optimal in this. You can feel that already. Onuachu is a phenomenon, as our technical director and coach already indicated.
"In Belgium and in Europe, not only in terms of numbers but also in the interaction," Erik Gerits added.
Onuachu picked up the Ebony Shoe, Golden Boot and Belgian Professional Footballer of the Year awards following a banner 2020-2021 campaign that saw him score 35 goals in all competitions.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- 'Most African coaches don't respect themselves' - Udeze backs Onana in World Cup row with Song
- Graham Potter promotes German-born Nigerian RB to Chelsea first team training
- Official : Watford loan out teenage striker of Nigerian descent
- Crystal Palace's Nigeria-eligible winger emerges as transfer target for Sheffield Wednesday
- 'Joint top scorer', 'Too good', 'Magnificent' - Nigerian fans hail England's two-goal hero Rashford
- World Cup 2022 : Nigerian fans hail United States match-winner Christian Pulisic
- Okocha impressed with Gakpo's form but highlights Netherlands have not dominated games
- 'Security of the team', Led from the front', 'Just too good today' - Nigerian fans applaud Koulibaly
- 'The finish of a real marksman' - Ex-Nigeria striker praises Senegal defender's goal v Ecuador
- 'Sarr is not Mane' - Okocha reveals it's difficult for Senegal to replace Bayern Munich star
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football