Nephew of ex-Super Eagles star plays on the same pitch as Lionel Messi as Rennes beat PSGPublished: October 03, 2021
Lesley Ugochukwu, nephew of retired Nigeria international Onyekachi Apam, was on the same pitch as Argentina icon Lionel Messi in a French Ligue 1 clash between Rennes and Paris Saint-Germain on Sunday.
Messi suffered his first defeat as a player of PSG with the champions losing 2-0 to the Brittany club at Roazhon Park.
Three minutes to the end of the game, Rennes manager Bruno Génésio brought on Ugochukwu to replace Flavien Tait in a tactical substitution.
Messi hit the woodwork with a lovely free-kick on the half hour mark, before Gaëtan Laborde opened the scoring just before half-time.
A minute into the second half, Tait capitalised on a cross from Laborde to double Rennes' advantage.
The 17-year-old Ugochukwu gave away a free-kick in the sixth minute of stoppage time for tripping former Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum.
A France U18 international, Ugochukwu has forced his way into Rennes' first team squad on a permanent basis in 2021-2022 following the sale of Eduardo Camavinga to Real Madrid in the summer transfer window.
So far this season, the central midfielder has been included in every matchday squad and tasted action in nine matches including seven in the French top-flight.
Photo Credit : staderennais.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Irish-Nigerian teenager in the running for West Ham United Goal of the Month
- N21.8m Debt: Select/Emeks Sports slam Heartland FC with N100m lawsuit
- Two players of Nigerian descent named in latest SPFL Team of the Week
- Balogun has three Leagues in mind ahead of temporary departure from Arsenal
- Super Eagles star to reject new Rangers deal amid interest from Watford, Brentford, Palace
- Versatile Nigerian defender in advanced talks with Tottenham Hotspur over new deal
- Ex-African POTY defends Tuchel over decision not to start Chelsea's record acquisition
- Racing Genk chief backs Super Eagles striker to be a contender for the Golden Shoe
- Nigerian GK details how he joined Colchester after being on the radar of Norwich, AFC Wimbledon
- Iwobi makes cameo as Everton beat Arsenal in dramatic circumstances; Okonkwo benched
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football