EFL Trophy : Nigeria-eligible players on target as Arsenal edge Newport County in 7-goal thrillerPublished: October 12, 2021
Arsenal came from behind to register a 4-3 victory over League Two club Newport County in a Papa John's Trophy clash staged at Rodney Parade on Tuesday night.
Several Nigerian players were in action tonight, with goalkeeper Ovie Ejeheri, center back Mazeed Ogungbo, fullback Ryan Alebiosu and winger Joel Ideho starting for the Gunners, while Newport County's Timmy Abraham, younger brother of former Chelsea star Tammy Abraham, entered the game as a substitute at half-time.
Jordan Greenidge put The Exiles ahead in the 19th minute, before goals from Omari Hutchinson and Salah Oulad M'Hand saw the visitors go 2-1 up after 52 minutes.
Abraham equalised in the 62nd minute as his shot went in via a deflection, making it two goals in as many games in the EFL Trophy for the Fulham loanee.
Newport County took the lead again in the 68th minute and would have fancied their chances of winning the game but two Nigeria-eligible players combined to bring the game back to parity with four minutes left on the clock.
James Olayinka slotted home from inside the box after he was teed up by Alebiosu and there was more drama to come as Sagoe Jr scored the game-winning goal in the second minute of stoppage time.
Arsenal duo Tim Akinola and Nathan Butler-Oyedeji watched proceedings from the bench.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Racing Genk boss to make key decision on Onuachu after missing 3 of his last 4 spot-kicks
- Super Eagles target comes off bench to provide assist as Crystal Palace held by Arsenal
- Teenage Nigerian striker reacts after signing new deal with Chelsea
- Mane vs Salah : Ex-African POTY reveals the better of the two Liverpool stars
- 'He unsettled Maguire' - Former Fox hails Iheanacho for first half display vs Man Utd
- 'He's better than Lukaku' - West Ham legend makes bold claim about Napoli striker Osimhen
- Man City product, eligible for Nigeria & England, hints at switching allegiance to Germany
- Ex-Rangers boss reacts to reports Aribo could replace Chelsea-owned midfielder at Crystal Palace
- CSKA Moscow dazzler Ejuke named in Russian PL TOTW after completing nine dribbles
- Leicester star Ndidi makes prediction about Daka after striker's first Premier League goal
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football