'I still don't understand' - Former Genk coach stunned no club signed NFF's Best Performer of the YearPublished: November 23, 2021
Former Racing Genk coach John van den Brom says he is surprised that no club took the chance to sign Paul Onuachu in the summer transfer window.
Almost everyone expected Onuachu to seal a move to a club in the top five European Leagues in the summer after a banner 2020-2021 campaign that saw him win the Golden Boot award in Belgium with 33 goals but a transfer did not happen.
In his native Nigeria, the FC Ebedei product was recognized for his outstanding displays, winning the Nigeria Football Federation's Best Performer of the Year in September 2021.
John van den Brom is pleased with the manner Onuachu conducted himself despite the failed transfer.
"Paul hoped for a transfer, but in the end no one came," he told Het Laatste Nieuws via voetbalkrant.
"The last days before the closing of the transfer window he realized that he would have to stay. Was he disappointed? Let's say he's a boy who's too sweet".
John va den Brom added : "Dimitri De Condé then very cleverly extended Onuachu 's contract . But I still don't understand that no club was concrete for him.
"Put Paul in a top league, surround him with even better players and he will score his goals there too. I really like him very much."
Onuachu has already reached double figures for goals four months into the 2021-2022 season, getting his name on the scoresheet twelve times in 21 matches across all competitions.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Irish-Nigerian teenager in the running for West Ham United Goal of the Month
- N21.8m Debt: Select/Emeks Sports slam Heartland FC with N100m lawsuit
- Two players of Nigerian descent named in latest SPFL Team of the Week
- Balogun has three Leagues in mind ahead of temporary departure from Arsenal
- Super Eagles star to reject new Rangers deal amid interest from Watford, Brentford, Palace
- Versatile Nigerian defender in advanced talks with Tottenham Hotspur over new deal
- Ex-African POTY defends Tuchel over decision not to start Chelsea's record acquisition
- Racing Genk chief backs Super Eagles striker to be a contender for the Golden Shoe
- Nigerian GK details how he joined Colchester after being on the radar of Norwich, AFC Wimbledon
- Iwobi makes cameo as Everton beat Arsenal in dramatic circumstances; Okonkwo benched
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football