Aribo set to make AFCON debut vs Egypt as Rangers ace continues training with probable startersPublished: January 08, 2022
Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that everything is pointing to the fact that Joe Aribo will make his Africa Cup of Nations debut when the Super Eagles lock horns with Egypt on January 11, if the training sessions are anything to go by.
The Glasgow Rangers midfielder, who will be wearing Nigeria's iconic number 10 shirt previously worn with pride by two Premier League stars Austin Okocha and John Obi Mikel, has been training with the probable starters ahead of the opening game against the Pharaohs.
In the team's penultimate workout before leaving for Cameroon, Aribo played for the Team A comprising the players tipped to start and was named in the starting lineup in Friday's win over Coton Sport in a practice match.
Aribo was also grouped with the possible starters who wore green bibs in the training game on Saturday.
Unlike at club level, the former Charlton Athletic man does not really have that freedom to join the attack as he is often deployed as one of the two pivots for the Super Eagles - a role he is set to continue playing alongside Leicester City star Wilfred Ndidi against Egypt.
Aribo has made twelve appearances for the Super Eagles - all of them starts - putting him ahead of his rivals for a starting shirt in midfield Chidera Ejuke, Kelechi Nwakali and Frank Onyeka in terms of games played.
He marked his Super Eagles debut with a goal against Ukraine in September 2019 but hasn't found the net in ten consecutive matches for the three-time African champions.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Best sites to predict football scores
- Opinion: The Arsenal transfer target Leicester City star Ndidi should replace at West Ham
- 'He's done okay' - Former Aston Villa striker urges Everton to cash in on Iwobi
- Lille ahead of Burnley in race for Gift Orban but Gent playing hardball over striker's transfer
- Official: FC Cincinnati sign Aghedo until end of the season plus club options
- Official: Bournemouth release 19yo winger of Nigerian descent
- Confirmed: Schalke 04 will not sign former Celtic defender Jenz on a full deal
- CIES report suggests Manchester United and Chelsea target Osimhen is valued at N38.1b
- Chukwueze's link with Real Madrid: Is Villarreal winger a better than option than Rodrygo?
- Southampton and Brighton join Crystal Palace in race to sign Chelsea's Nigerian defender
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football