Cap-tied Austria international born in Nigeria on target, Tijani benched as Salzburg, Bayern share spoilsPublished: February 17, 2022
Austrian champions Salzburg were so close to earning a dream result against Bayern Munich in a Champions League round of 16 clash at the Red Bull Arena on Wednesday night, only to concede in the very last minute.
Of the four youngsters of Nigerian descent manager Matthias Jaissle named in his matchday 23, only ex-Golden Eaglets skipper Samson Tijani is eligible to represent the Super Eagles.
Strikers Karim Adeyemi, Noah Okafor and Chukwubuike Adamu are cap-tied to the national teams of Germany, Switzerland and Austria respectively.
Born in Kano twenty years ago, Adamu made his competitive debut for Austria's senior national team in a 2022 World Cup qualifier against Israel on November 12, 2021.
Twelve minutes in, the Nigerian-born striker came off the bench to replace Okafor who could not continue after picking up an injury.
Nine minutes after his introduction, Adamu gave Salzburg an unlikely lead, slotting a tidy finish in from the edge of the box after he was teed up by Brenden Aaronson.
Bayern Munich extended their record-breaking unbeaten run away from home in Europe to 22 matches when Kingsley Coman fired past Köhn at the goalkeeper's right-hand post to level matters with seconds of normal time remaining.
Defensive midfielder Tijani watched proceedings from the bench for the entirety of the game.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Ex-Premier League star reveals how Iwobi contributed to nullifying Saka, Martinelli threat
- Iheanacho involved in three goals as Leicester City beat Aston Villa 4-2
- Golden Eaglets-eligible striker scores in back-to-back games for Manchester United youth team
- 'Showed a lot of skill' - Chelsea legend Glenn Hoddle waxes lyrical about 'intelligent' Madueke
- Ideho makes first appearance for Arsenal U21 after returning from Flying Eagles duty
- 'The changes were spectacular' - Flying Eagles captain hails Ladan Bosso for inspired substitutions
- Every word Zambia coach said on Flying Eagles, delay at airport, NFF, AFCON chances and more
- 'Supposed to be playing for U23s' - Manu Garba names the Flying Eagles player that impressed him
- Most expensive player of Nigerian descent in Chelsea's history sparkles on PL debut
- Nigeria 4 Zambia 2 : Sarki, Olamilekan, Uchegbu, Lawal on target for Flying Eagles in 6-goal thriller
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football