Osimhen wins Napoli a penalty but Serie A side exit Europa League after 4-2 loss to BarcelonaPublished: February 24, 2022
Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen was lively for Napoli on Thursday night in the second leg of the Europa League knockout round playoff tie between Napoli and Barcelona at the Diego Maradona stadium with Xavi's side winning 4-2.
The first leg ended 1-1 at the Camp Nou and Thursday's game inadvertently saw Napoli eliminated from the competition 5-3 on aggregate.
A quick counter from Barcelona in their own half saw Adama Traore feeding the ball through Jordi Alba who finished with some precision for their first goal of the night.
The Blaugrana doubled their lead soon afterwards as former Man City forward Ferran Torres produced an unorthodox back heel to Frankie de Jong who found the top right corner in the 13th minute.
Osimhen was caught offside in the 15th minute as he bore down on goal.
The Nigerian striker was brought down inside the penalty box in the 21st minute by Barca keeper Ter Stergen but it required the attention of the VAR for the penalty to be awarded which was dispatched by Lorenzo Insigne.
Barcelona were presented with some chances to inflict more damage to their Italian opponents and their pressure eventually paid off when Gerrard Pique turned home the ball to restore their two-goal advantage on the stroke of halftime.
Former Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang made it 4-1 and well beyond Napoli just before the hour mark.
Osimhen went close to reducing the arrears with 70 minutes played. He evaded Pique's close marking but his near effort missed target by whiskers.
Matteo Politano grabbed a goal for the Italians with three minutes left on the clock but it finished 4-2 on the night with Barcelona going through to the round of 16 stages.
Photo Credit : sscnapoli.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Passport which expired in 2018 blocked Arsenal winger from making Flying Eagles' AFCON squad
- Tottenham Hotspur offer new deal to Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Flying Eagles coach names three foreign-based stars in 30-man provisional AFCON squad
- 'Two goals of exceptionally quality' - Reims coach hails 'incredible' on-loan Gunner Balogun
- Arteta promotes U15 player to Arsenal first team training, promising GK eligible for Nigeria
- Pundit omits Madueke as he names the new players likely to be included in Chelsea's UCL squad
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football