UCL : Chukwueze comes off the bench for Villarreal in shock 3-0 win over JuventusPublished: March 17, 2022
Samuel Chukwueze came off the bench for the last twenty five minutes as Europa League holders Villarreal humiliated Juventus at the Allianz Stadium on Wednesday night, scoring three goals without reply to book their place in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League.
After a goalless first half, manager Unai Emery introduced his Nigerian winger to add more spark to his attack.
The Bianconeri were the better team in the first half and could have been ahead but Dusan Vlahović saw his effort hit the woodwork in the 21st minute.
With the introduction of Chukwueze, the Spanish tactician set up his team in a 4-3-3 formation and the Super Eagles star was given the license to operate on the right wing.
Twelve minutes to the end of the game, Gerard Moreno converted a spot kick awarded after Juventus defender Daniele Rugani brought down Francis Coquelin in the area.
Pau Torres took advantage of some poor defending to double the advantage in the 85th minute and there was more to come when Nigerian-born Netherlands international Danjuma made it 3-0 from the spot after Matthijs de Ligt handled the ball in the area.
Villarreal have won their last three away matches in the Champions League with Chukwueze taking part in two, against Young Boys and Juventus.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Former Chelsea star Moses reports for pre-season training at Spartak Moscow
- WAFCON : Three best and worst performers in Nigeria's defeat to South Africa
- 'He's a top level player' - Rangers icon understands why Southampton are interested in Nigeria star
- Significant update emerges on future of two Super Eagles stars and Nigeria U23 intl at Watford
- Opinion : Two English clubs that could benefit from signing Chelsea legend Mikel
- 'If we can do that' - 2019 Flying Eagles invitee targets promotion with Sheffield Wednesday
- Nigeria player ratings: Ajibade bright spark; Plumptre blows hot and cold; Oshoala, Chikwelu struggle
- Five observations from Nigeria's Super Falcons defeat to South Africa's Bayana Bayana
- WAFCON Nigeria 1 RSA 2 : Atletico Madrid star nets consolation goal for defending champions
- Celtic or Rangers? Analysis of which club would be a great fit for Super Eagles striker
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football