'Change is incomprehensible' - Pundit surprised Osimhen was replaced in Napoli's draw vs RomaPublished: April 19, 2022
Napoli required a response in their Italian Serie A meeting with AS Roma at the Diego Maradona Stadium on Easter Monday having lost to Forentina in the penultimate round of matches, but faltered as they played out a 1-1 draw with the Giallorossi.
Stephan El Shaarawy found the bottom corner in the first minute of second half stoppage time to secure a share of the spoils for Jose Mourinho's men, after Lorenzo Pellegrini's first half penalty put the Blues in front.
Victor Osimhen had a chance to double Napoli's advantage in the second half when he was given space in which to operate but the angle was against him and he hit the side-netting.
The Nigeria international made way for Dries Mertens with eight minutes left on the clock.
Speaking on 1 Football Club, a radio program hosted by Luca Cerchione broadcast on 1 Station Radio, Mediaset journalist and football commentator Paolo Bargiggia questioned Luciano Spalletti's decision to replace Osimhen - something that backfired as the visitors grabbed an equaliser and were the more offensive team in the closing minutes.
In quotes relayed by Seriea24, Bargiggia said : "Yesterday he removed Insigne and Osimhen and also upset the defense set-up in the final by putting it at 5.
"The double change gave field, ground and confidence to Roma who were attacking at Mourinho-style, that is to say with great confusion.
"It seems that the management of Napoli was very disappointed by Spalletti's attitude, Osimhen's change is incomprehensible."
Of his 22 appearances in the Italian top-flight so far in 2021-2022, Osimhen has gone the distance in eight.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Passport which expired in 2018 blocked Arsenal winger from making Flying Eagles' AFCON squad
- Tottenham Hotspur offer new deal to Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Flying Eagles coach names three foreign-based stars in 30-man provisional AFCON squad
- 'Two goals of exceptionally quality' - Reims coach hails 'incredible' on-loan Gunner Balogun
- Arteta promotes U15 player to Arsenal first team training, promising GK eligible for Nigeria
- Pundit omits Madueke as he names the new players likely to be included in Chelsea's UCL squad
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football