The Nigeria Football Federation have announced the Super Eagles provisional squad list for the upcoming international friendlies against Mexico and Ecuador with three goalkeepers, ten defenders, eight midfielders and nine strikers making the cut.
Allnigeriasoccer.com's editorial staff brings you eight things to note on the roster.
1) Leaving out Kwara United midfielder Babatunde Afeez Nosiru, the roster holds an average age of 24.8 years with eight players aged 23 or younger as at May 10, 2022. They are Maduka Okoye, Calvin Bassey, Isa Ali, Ibrahim Buhari, Samson Tijani, Alhassan Yusuf, Samuel Chukwueze and Ishaq Rafiu.
2) The thirty invited players represent a total of twenty four different clubs. Watford and Glasgow Rangers have contributed the most players with three each, followed by Enyimba and Rivers United with two players each.
3) Nigeria's coach for the friendlies, Salisu Yusuf has picked two home based players in each department. Goalkeepers Adewale Adeyinka (Akwa United) and Ojo Olorunleke (Enyimba FC), defenders Isa Ali (Remo Stars) and Ibrahim Buhari (Plateau United), midfielders Chiamaka Madu (Rivers United) and Babatunde Afeez Nosiru (Kwara United), strikers Victor Mbaoma (Enyimba FC) and Ishaq Rafiu (Rivers United).
4) Including the aforementioned Nigeria Professional Football League players, one other player has a chance to make his international debut for the Super Eagles A team, with Royal Antwerp midfielder Alhassan Yusuf also receiving his maiden call-up to the senior national team.
5) Twelve players were part of the squad that reached the last sixteen of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations and fifteen were on the finalized roster for the 2022 World Cup playoff against Ghana in March.
6) Nantes winger Moses Simon has been involved in the last fourteen matches played by the Super Eagles A team, the only player in the current squad to do so.
7) The most experienced player on the roster, Fatih Karagumruk star Ahmed Musa is in line to make his 31st appearance in a friendly when the Super Eagles take on Mexico, more than any other player in the squad.
8) Musa, Leon Balogun and Abdullahi Shehu are the only survivors from the Super Eagles matchday squad that held Mexico to a goalless draw in March 2014.
Nigeria's 30-man provisional squad for friendlies
Goalkeepers: Maduka Okoye (Sparta Rotterdam, The Netherlands); Adewale Adeyinka (Akwa United); Ojo Olorunleke (Enyimba FC)
Defenders: Olaoluwa Aina (Torino FC, Italy); Abdullahi Shehu (AC Omonia, Cyprus); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal); William Ekong (Watford FC, England); Leon Balogun (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Isa Ali (Remo Stars); Chidozie Awaziem (Alanyaspor FC, Turkey); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Calvin Bassey (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Ibrahim Buhari (Plateau United)
Midfielders: Joseph Ayodele-Aribo (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Alex Iwobi (Everton FC, England); Oghenekaro Etebo (Watford FC, England); Chiamaka Madu (Rivers United); Babatunde Afeez Nosiru (Kwara United); Azubuike Okechukwu (Yeni Malatyaspor, Turkey); Samson Tijani (Red Bull Salzburg, Austria); Alhassan Yusuf (Royal Antwerp FC, Belgium)
Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Fatih Karagumruk, Turkey); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal FC, Spain); Ademola Lookman (Leicester City, England); Sadiq Umar (UD Almeria, Spain); Emmanuel Dennis (Watford FC, England); Cyriel Dessers (Feyenoord FC, The Netherlands); Victor Mbaoma (Enyimba FC); Ishaq Rafiu (Rivers United)
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Bassey provides big update on Rangers future amid Wolves, Aston Villa, Fulham, Brentford links
- Snapped : Eagles coach Vieira promotes 18yo Irish-Nigerian to first team training pre-Man Utd
- 'Playing with bags of confidence' - Chelsea legend hails Bassey's display in win vs Hearts
- Super Eagles trio shine as Rangers beat Hearts to win Scottish Cup
- Confirmed : Bournemouth extend contract of ex-Tottenham Hotspur youth teamer Okoh
- Balogun involved in Arsenal final training session before visit of Everton
- Flying Eagles goalkeeper dedicates WAFU B Championship triumph to Chelsea icon Petr Cech
- Official : Pacey right-back of Nigerian descent departs Norwich City
- Nigerian winger attracted Burnley, Wolves interest before joining Huddersfield on scholarship deal
- Confirmed : Nigerian-born former Chelsea schoolboy released by Barnsley
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football