Versatile Nigeria defender Calvin Bassey has reportedly emerged as a transfer target for Premier League club Aston Villa.
According to the Telegraph UK, Aston Villa are targeting a new left-back to provide competition for Lucas Digne.
The Lions have drawn up a shortlist of players to strengthen the left-back position, with Bassey and Bologna star Aaron Hickey among the candidates.
It would be a reunion of sorts if Bassey's deal to Aston Villa goes through as the Nigerian and manager Steven Gerrard worked together at Glasgow Rangers before the former England star was poached by the Premier League side in November 2021.
The Leicester City academy product was handed his professional debut by Gerrard and went on to make 28 appearances for the Light Blues with the 41-year-old in the dugout.
Bassey has been in impressive form this season, evident by the fact that he helped Rangers qualify for the final of the Europa League and Scottish FA Cup, and was named the club's Young Player of the Season for 2021-2022.
And on the international stage, he made his starting debut for the Super Eagles in their 1-1 draw with Ghana in a 2022 World Cup playoff back in March.
The 22-year-old, who is capable of playing as a left-sided central defender and left-back, has a contract with Rangers until June 2024.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2021 Super Eagles invitee ruled out for the season after Patrick Vieira reveal
- League Two playoff semifinal : Koiki strikes; Leicester loanee subbed in; Egbo, Odimayo feature
- Peseiro named new Nigeria coach, subject to Portuguese signing agreed terms; Finidi promoted
- Osimhen must score two goals on final day of the season to trigger goal bonus of N56.2m
- EPL wrap : Etebo subbed in; starts for Eze, Kalu; Iheanacho, Lookman, Ekong, 4 others benched
- 'Casual defending' - 1994 AFCON winner backs referee's decision to award Tottenham a penalty vs Burnley
- 'He's really good' - Watford insider tips Super Eagles striker to leave Hornets this summer
- 'Things you love to see' - Balogun reacts as Mainz fan raises Rangers scarf vs Eintracht Frankfurt
- 'It's time he steps aside'- 2002 World Cupper wants to replace Amaju Pinnick as NFF President
- Three Lions boss Southgate considers giving 2017 Super Eagles invitee first England call-up
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football