The Super Eagles will not be facing São Tomé and Príncipe in Group A of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers as Mauritius have taken the place of the Islanders.
The Director of Competitions of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Mr Samson Adamu has confirmed that Mauritius won a case it filed against Sao Tomé and Príncipe concerning their 2023 Africa Cup of Nations preliminary qualifying fixture, and will therefore join the combatants in Group A of the qualification series starting next month.
Victory for Mauritius at the CAF Disciplinary Committee means they now join Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Guinea-Bissau in Group A of the six-match phase that ends in March next year.
Nigeria will play Sierra Leone in Abuja on Thursday 9th June and then play Mauritius on Monday 13th June.
Mauritius had filed a protest against São Tomé and Príncipe, who won their preliminary qualifying fixture, insisting that one São Tomé player had tested positive for covid-19.
Mauritius will take the place of Sao Tome e Principe in the qualifiers for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations after having their appeal over the eligibility of veteran Luis Leal upheld by the Confederation of African Football (CAF). Read more: https://t.co/IEKwtu68DD pic.twitter.com/2F7Xj4xiSP— COSAFA (@COSAFAMEDIA) May 16, 2022
"The matter became somewhat more interesting because the player at the centre of the controversy is the one that scored the only goal of the match," said the NFF's source at the time.
- Nigeria-eligible duo miss out on Arsenal training camp in Herzogenaurach
- Official : Ex-Chelsea midfielder of Nigerian descent signs scholarship deal with Fulham
- Official : SV Wehen Wiesbaden sign ex-Hamburg, Schalke youth teamer Ezeh
- Watford's Super Eagles GK likes Man Utd post confirming signing of Feyenoord fullback
- Former Chelsea star Moses reports for pre-season training at Spartak Moscow
- WAFCON : Three best and worst performers in Nigeria's defeat to South Africa
- 'He's a top level player' - Rangers icon understands why Southampton are interested in Nigeria star
- Significant update emerges on future of two Super Eagles stars and Nigeria U23 intl at Watford
- Opinion : Two English clubs that could benefit from signing Chelsea legend Mikel
- 'If we can do that' - 2019 Flying Eagles invitee targets promotion with Sheffield Wednesday
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football