Rangers' German-born central defender Leon Balogun has revealed the secret behind James Tavernier's goalscoring form in the UEFA Europa League ahead of Wednesday's showpiece against Eintracht Frankfurt in Seville.
The Light Blues captain is the leading scorer in the Europa League with seven, with all the goals netted in the knockout rounds of the competition.
What makes it more impressive is the fact that Tavernier is a defender by trade and only four of the goals came from the spot.
The 30-year-old right-back has been involved in an astonishing 35 goals (18 goals, 17 assists) in 56 games across all competitions this term.
Balogun wore the colours of German clubs Türkiyemspor Berlin, Hannover 96, Werder Bremen, Fortuna Düsseldorf, Darmstadt 98 and Mainz before joining Rangers in 2020.
Asked how Tavernier manages to score goals from his defensive position apart from a few converted penalties, Balogun said to Frankfurt based German newspaper Frankfurter Rundschau : "He has a strong offensive drive with a very high presence in the box. And he still doesn't neglect his defensive duties.
"Luckily! It's unbelievable how much energy he has on the road. He is really very, very strong and keeps making those deep runs."
It is all but confirmed Balogun will be named in the matchday squad against Eintracht Frankfurt but whether he's named in the starting lineup is another matter.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Former Chelsea star Moses reports for pre-season training at Spartak Moscow
- WAFCON : Three best and worst performers in Nigeria's defeat to South Africa
- 'He's a top level player' - Rangers icon understands why Southampton are interested in Nigeria star
- Significant update emerges on future of two Super Eagles stars and Nigeria U23 intl at Watford
- Opinion : Two English clubs that could benefit from signing Chelsea legend Mikel
- 'If we can do that' - 2019 Flying Eagles invitee targets promotion with Sheffield Wednesday
- Nigeria player ratings: Ajibade bright spark; Plumptre blows hot and cold; Oshoala, Chikwelu struggle
- Five observations from Nigeria's Super Falcons defeat to South Africa's Bayana Bayana
- WAFCON Nigeria 1 RSA 2 : Atletico Madrid star nets consolation goal for defending champions
- Celtic or Rangers? Analysis of which club would be a great fit for Super Eagles striker
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football