Arsenal icon Lehmann admits he knows Balogun but explains why he's backing Frankfurt to beat RangersPublished: May 18, 2022
Arsenal Invincible Jens Lehmann has admitted that he knows Rangers' German-born Nigeria international Leon Balogun but looking at the bigger picture, he is rooting for Eintracht Frankfurt to beat their Scottish opponents in Wednesday's Europa League showpiece in Seville.
Balogun played for six different German clubs in his senior career, including Eintracht Frankfurt's bitter rivals Darmstadt 98, scoring four goals in 21 outings for The Lilies.
Lehmann underlined that Frankfurt would be desperate to win the Europa League as it's their only chance of playing European football next season.
In addition, a Frankfurt win would see Germany have five teams in next season's Champions League, with Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen and RB Leipzig already guaranteed spots.
"I know Rangers' German-born defender Leon Balogun who previously played in the Bundesliga," Lehmann told allnigeriasoccer.com.
"As Germans we hope that Frankfurt will win because we have Champions League ambitions, we will have five teams in the Champions League.
"It will be a massive game for Frankfurt because they only finished eleventh in the Bundesliga so this is the game they have to perform."
Balogun has not started a Europa League game for Rangers since a 1-0 loss to Sporting Braga in the quarterfinals of the competition.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Passport which expired in 2018 blocked Arsenal winger from making Flying Eagles' AFCON squad
- Tottenham Hotspur offer new deal to Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Flying Eagles coach names three foreign-based stars in 30-man provisional AFCON squad
- 'Two goals of exceptionally quality' - Reims coach hails 'incredible' on-loan Gunner Balogun
- Arteta promotes U15 player to Arsenal first team training, promising GK eligible for Nigeria
- Pundit omits Madueke as he names the new players likely to be included in Chelsea's UCL squad
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football