Rangers boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst has named his starting lineup for Wednesday evening's UEFA Europa League final against German opponents Eintracht Frankfurt at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium in Seville.
For the first time since the UEFA Cup was rebranded the Europa League, two Nigerian players will start the final of the competition, with Van Bronckhorst selecting Super Eagles stars Joe Aribo and Calvin Bassey in the starting XI.
Former Nigeria internationals John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses were named in Chelsea's matchday squad in the 2013 showpiece against Benfica but were non-playing substitutes.
Van Bronckhorst has set up his team in a 4-3-3 formation with Connor Goldson and Bassey partnering in central defence, a decision that sees Leon Balogun omitted from the starting lineup.
Balogun certainly not starting the UEL final with this. Aribo and Bassey are. https://t.co/sbcXyWXjZt— AllNigeriaSoccer (@Editor_ANS) May 14, 2022
Balogun started for the Light Blues as they ended their Premiership campaign with a 3-1 win over Hearts at the weekend, all but confirming that he would be out of contention for a place in the starting lineup against Frankfurt.
Kemar Roofe is lacking match fitness having recovered from a knee problem so Aribo has been deployed once again as a false nine.
Barring an injury in the warm-up, the Super Eagles midfielder is set to become the only Rangers player who has been involved in the seventeen matches played by the club in this season's Europa League.
Rangers starting XI : McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Bassey, Barisic, Lundstram, Jack, Kamara, Wright, Kent, Aribo.
Substitutes: McLaughlin, McCrorie, Balogun, King, Davis, Ramsey, Sands, Arfield, Lowry, Amad, Roofe, Fashion Jr.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigerian wingers Simon and Amoo react after receiving CAF Awards 2022 nominations
- 'We're very close' - Reading chief confident Nigeria-eligible winger would sign new deal
- Official : 2021-2022 Turkish 1.Lig second-highest scorer Eze joins Eyupspor
- Opinion : What Sadiq needs to do to fit into Emery's intense game style if Villarreal move happens
- Ex-Super Eagles star Sodje hails Golden Eaglets for WAFU B triumph, calls for youth development
- Simon, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal stars, 25 others fight it out for CAF Player of the Year
- Amoo battles Manchester United starlet, 8 others for CAF Young Player of the Year
- OGC Nice or Leeds United : Examining which club would be best fit for Super Eagles star
- Veterans Invitational Tournament : N0.65m up for grabs as All Stars Abuja tackle USF in opener
- Spartak reveal when to expect news about Moses as ex-Chelsea star misses open training session
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football