Rangers' Nigeria national teamers Joe Aribo and Calvin Bassey have both been nominated for the official Europa League Player of the Week by European football governing body UEFA.
Aribo and Bassey started for the Light Blues as they were beaten 5-4 on penalties in the Europa League showpiece held in Seville on Wednesday night.
The Super Eagles midfielder was deployed as a false nine against the German Bundesliga side and was in action for 101 minutes, while Bassey put in a full shift in defence.
In a tense game at the Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán, Aribo slotted home under pressure to open the scoring in the 57th minute after sloppy defending from Eintracht Frankfurt defender Tuta.
2 - Rangers forward Joe Aribo is just the second Nigerian to score in the final of a major European competition after Alex Iwobi (for Arsenal vs Chelsea) in the 2019 UEFA Europa League. Breakthrough. #UELfinal pic.twitter.com/91vsR7DY9t— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 18, 2022
Rafael Borre restored parity in the 69th minute when he tapped in from close range, after Rangers defenders failed to clear a cross inside their box.
Aribo and Bassey have been shortlisted for the Europa League Player of the Week alongside Eintracht Frankfurt duo Rafael Borré and Kevin Trapp.
The former Charlton Athletic man was the only Rangers player involved in all the seventeen matches played by the club in the 2021-2022 Europa League, including the qualifying rounds.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Chelsea vs Tottenham: Two things Tuchel needs to improve on ahead of crunch London derby
- Nottingham Forest linked with move for another Super Eagles winger
- 2022 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup : Five observations from Nigeria's 1-0 win against France
- U20 WWC Falconets player ratings : Demehin leader, Oyono commanding, Oshobukola technical
- France 0 Nigeria 1 : Sabastine goal earns Falconets late win over The Little Blues
- Official : Burnley newbie Tella allocated shirt number he wore at Southampton
- Arsenal legend references Moses as he backs Ryan Sessegnon to flourish as a wing-back
- Confirmed : Anglo-Spanish-Nigerian midfielder signs new deal with Crystal Palace
- Highly-rated Southampton attacking midfielder confirms move to Chelsea youth team
- The Nigeria star who would be a perfect replacement for Barcelona-bound Chelsea LB Alonso
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football