Nigeria's Flying Eagles on Friday evening defeated Benin Republic 3-1 to win the WAFU U-20 sub regional tournament which serves as qualifiers to the CAF U-20 Nations Cup in Egypt in 2023.
The Nigerian side went close to scoring a couple of times in the first half but were foiled by a resolute defence.
The Flying Eagles however took the lead in the 38th minute through a penalty converted by Tolulope Ojo after a Beninoise defender handled the ball in the box in a desperate bid to stop the Nigerians from going ahead.
Eagles goalkeeper Nathaniel Nwosu created some panic attacks as he vacated his goal line and was all over the place but his defenders came to his rescue with a timely clearance.
Nigeria doubled their lead when resourceful midfielder Ojo let fly a long range screamer in the 70th minute.
Seven minutes after the Remo Stars player got the second goal, Ibrahim Muhammad made it 3-0 as he lobbed the ball over the Benin goalkeeper whose distribution was poor at that moment.
Benin got themselves a consolation goal six minutes to full time when Farid Eddu tapped in from close range but it was too little too late to salvage anything.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Former Chelsea star Moses reports for pre-season training at Spartak Moscow
- WAFCON : Three best and worst performers in Nigeria's defeat to South Africa
- 'He's a top level player' - Rangers icon understands why Southampton are interested in Nigeria star
- Significant update emerges on future of two Super Eagles stars and Nigeria U23 intl at Watford
- Opinion : Two English clubs that could benefit from signing Chelsea legend Mikel
- 'If we can do that' - 2019 Flying Eagles invitee targets promotion with Sheffield Wednesday
- Nigeria player ratings: Ajibade bright spark; Plumptre blows hot and cold; Oshoala, Chikwelu struggle
- Five observations from Nigeria's Super Falcons defeat to South Africa's Bayana Bayana
- WAFCON Nigeria 1 RSA 2 : Atletico Madrid star nets consolation goal for defending champions
- Celtic or Rangers? Analysis of which club would be a great fit for Super Eagles striker
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football