Former Rangers fullback claims Serie A clubs are interested in Italian-born Super Eagles starPublished: June 06, 2022
Sergio Porrini, a former Rangers fullback, has claimed that unnamed Serie A clubs are interested in Italian-born Super Eagles star Calvin Bassey.
After a great season with Rangers, the versatile 22-year-old has emerged as one of the most sought after Nigerian players in Europe.
Ex-Rangers manager Steven Gerrard who is now in charge of English club Aston Villa is rumoured to be interested in signing the Scottish Cup winner.
A product of the Leicester City academy, Bassey has two years to run on his contract with the Light Blues, whom he joined as a free agent in 2020 but the Foxes were compensated after the defender's signing as he's an U24 player and rejected a new contract.
Rangers would be making a significant profit if his sale is sanctioned in the summer transfer window.
"I am not surprised that Aston Villa and other top clubs are looking at him," Porrini told The Scotsman.
"I know there has been Serie A interest and a lot of teams will be wanting to sign him this summer.
"Any club who has the budget will be trying to get him because he is a top, young defender who will only get better.
"The good thing for Rangers is that he is still under contract and if they are to sell him it would take a lot of money to get him."
Bassey was in action for the Super Eagles in their recent international friendlies with Mexico and Ecuador and has been named in the final squad for the upcoming 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Sierra Leone and Sao Tome.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Tottenham Hotspur offer new deal to Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Flying Eagles coach names three foreign-based stars in 30-man provisional AFCON squad
- 'Two goals of exceptionally quality' - Reims coach hails 'incredible' on-loan Gunner Balogun
- Arteta promotes U15 player to Arsenal first team training, promising GK eligible for Nigeria
- Pundit omits Madueke as he names the new players likely to be included in Chelsea's UCL squad
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
- 'I don't want to write him off yet' - Rangers & Ajax legend De Boer urges patience with Bassey
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football