Former Rangers fullback claims Serie A clubs are interested in Italian-born Super Eagles starPublished: June 06, 2022
Sergio Porrini, a former Rangers fullback, has claimed that unnamed Serie A clubs are interested in Italian-born Super Eagles star Calvin Bassey.
After a great season with Rangers, the versatile 22-year-old has emerged as one of the most sought after Nigerian players in Europe.
Ex-Rangers manager Steven Gerrard who is now in charge of English club Aston Villa is rumoured to be interested in signing the Scottish Cup winner.
A product of the Leicester City academy, Bassey has two years to run on his contract with the Light Blues, whom he joined as a free agent in 2020 but the Foxes were compensated after the defender's signing as he's an U24 player and rejected a new contract.
Rangers would be making a significant profit if his sale is sanctioned in the summer transfer window.
"I am not surprised that Aston Villa and other top clubs are looking at him," Porrini told The Scotsman.
"I know there has been Serie A interest and a lot of teams will be wanting to sign him this summer.
"Any club who has the budget will be trying to get him because he is a top, young defender who will only get better.
"The good thing for Rangers is that he is still under contract and if they are to sell him it would take a lot of money to get him."
Bassey was in action for the Super Eagles in their recent international friendlies with Mexico and Ecuador and has been named in the final squad for the upcoming 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Sierra Leone and Sao Tome.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football