The African Women Cup Of Nations being held in Morocco has been nothing short of intense excitement.
Although the Nigerian Super Falcons team suffered an early defeat in their opening game against fierce rivals South Africa, there is a chance of redemption when they lock horns with Botswana tomorrow.
Botswana are no easy opponents as they walloped Burundi with a 4-2 scoreline in their opening game.
While the Super Falcons remain the favourites to win the game against Botswana due to their quality and being the defending champions, they need to improve drastically in several areas of their game before the match.
Allnigeriasoccer.com takes a look at two such areas the Super Falcons need to improve ahead of the game.
Connecting the midfield
While route-one football is an effective way of scoring quick goals when the right tools are available, it is gradually being phased out of the modern game.
During the opening game, South Africa wrestled the midfield control away from Nigeria and it destabilised everything the Falcons planned to create.
The Bayana Bayana dominated the midfield cohesively which forced the centre-backs to go long at every opportunity.
This must be improved upon before the next game. If the midfield can get it right, then everything will fall in place for the team.
Against South Africa, the Super Falcons found it difficult to hold on to the ball in attacking zones of the pitch.
To break down defences in modern football, the ball must be in attacking positions for a large part of the game.
This can be achieved by having athletic players who can keep up with the physical demands required to recycle the ball quickly with the likes of Osinachi Ohale and Onome Ebi advancing in age.
Switching Plumptre back to the centre-back position could work wonders in helping the Falcons sustain pressure better.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official : Nigerian winger and Galatasaray agree to contract termination
- 'I'll be able to develop further with Conte' - Italian-Nigerian LB says ahead of move to Spurs
- How to bet on handicaps in football
- West Ham United's Irish-Nigerian striker linked with loan move
- Official : Esperance loan out Super Eagles striker to Ligue Professionnelle 1 champions
- Opinion: Why Chelsea's game against Tottenham is a call for Nigeria's most valuable player
- Super Eagles-eligible midfielder plays his first competitive game since arrival at Chelsea
- Eze instrumental, Olise makes comeback as Liverpool held to draw by Crystal Palace
- Osimhen scores and assists as rampaging Napoli destroy Verona in Serie A opener
- EPL 30th anniversary : Allardyce recalls nostalgic moments with magical ex-Nigeria captain
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football