German Bundesliga club RB Leipzig have revealed exactly why former Everton winger Ademola Lookman was not named in the matchday squad in a pre-season friendly against Premier League side Liverpool at the Red Bull Arena on Thursday evening.
Lookman also missed the 3-1 win over Southampton at the weekend but his omission from the two most recent matchday squads has nothing to do with speculation surrounding his future.
RB Leipzig tweeted ahead of kickoff that the Nigeria international was not available for selection due to injury.
It remains to be seen whether or not the 2017 FIFA U20 World Cup winner with England will be fit to be named in the squad to face Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup on July 30.
Lookman last wore the RB Leipzig shirt in a competitive match against Fortuna Düsseldorf on June 17, 2020, before back-to-back loan spells at Fulham and Leicester City.
Without Lookman in the squad, Liverpool cruised to a 5-0 win, with summer signing Darwin Nunez coming off the bench to score four goals after Mohamed Salah had opened the scoring in the eighth minute.
The Super Eagle has two years left on his contract with the 2021-2022 DFB-Pokal winners.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Folarin Balogun: Why Arsenal-owned striker should choose Nigeria Over USA, England
- Ex-Fiorentina star reveals preferred striker between Osimhen and Chelsea loanee Lukaku
- World Cup 2022 : Okocha praises brilliant Cameroon GK who made his debut last year v Nigeria
- 2022 World Cup : Nigerian fans have their say on Ghana captain Ayew penalty miss v Uruguay
- 'They were punished' - Aghahowa explains why Ghana missed chance to qualify for round of 16
- 1994 AFCON winner blames Jordan Ayew, Amartey for Uruguay's opener, hails Suarez for assist
- Ex-Arsenal U21 skipper Ajayi makes injury return after missing 15 games for club, country
- Millwall set to beat Wolves, Southampton in race for highly-rated Irish-Nigerian striker
- Chelsea loanee Anjorin returns to action after 75 days out
- 2021 Super Eagles invitee beats another Nigeria target to Crystal Palace POTM
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football