Former Ajax Amsterdam and Rangers star Brian Laudrup has insisted that the departures of Calvin Bassey and Joe Aribo are in fact beneficial for the club.
Rangy midfielder Joe Aribo left for the glamour of the Premier League by joining Southampton for 6 million pounds plus add-ons while left-back Calvin Bassey left the Gers shortly after for Ajax in a monumental deal worth 19 million pounds upfront and another 3 million in add-ons.
Laudrup believes that the sale of both players has strengthened Rangers' recruitment with more money which has been used to improve the squad's depth and quality and will help them in gaining an edge ahead of the title race.
Speaking to the Daily Mail via Scottish Sun, Laudrup said, " If you split last season into two halves, there was an argument for Joe Aribo and Calvin Bassey being the two best players at Rangers. At times, Aribo was almost unplayable prior to Christmas.
"Bassey then showed astonishing development in the second half of the campaign to make him one of the most sought-after young defenders in Europe. A couple of months back, I would have winced at the prospect of both departing Ibrox this summer.
"But it's happened. And the result is actually exciting. Because the huge money earned from their sales holds the key to this season's Premiership title race. "I like the look of how Rangers have spent so far. There's a tremendous mix within the seven signings made — a bit of everything, really".
Aribo left Rangers after registering 26 goals and 25 assists in 148 career appearances for the club while Bassey was able to make 65 senior appearances in his two years at the club.
Both players were instrumental in helping the Glasgow giants win the Scottish Cup last season and also reaching the final of the UEFA Europa League.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nottingham Forest linked with move for another Super Eagles winger
- 2022 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup : Five observations from Nigeria's 1-0 win against France
- U20 WWC Falconets player ratings : Demehin leader, Oyono commanding, Oshobukola technical
- France 0 Nigeria 1 : Sabastine goal earns Falconets late win over The Little Blues
- Official : Burnley newbie Tella allocated shirt number he wore at Southampton
- Arsenal legend references Moses as he backs Ryan Sessegnon to flourish as a wing-back
- Confirmed : Anglo-Spanish-Nigerian midfielder signs new deal with Crystal Palace
- Highly-rated Southampton attacking midfielder confirms move to Chelsea youth team
- The Nigeria star who would be a perfect replacement for Barcelona-bound Chelsea LB Alonso
- Why Southgate's visit to Chelsea Training Ground should be a wake-up call to Nigeria
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football