Ajax Amsterdam technical manager Gerry Hamstra has admitted that Calvin Bassey was not signed from a top European League club, even though Scotland's UEFA coefficient is nine, two positions less than the Netherlands.
The Dutch champions shelled a Nigerian transfer record fee for a defender at 23.3 million euros to land the Super Eagles left-back from Rangers, signing him as a replacement for Lisandro Martínez, who switched to Manchester United.
Almost everyone expected Bassey to make his unofficial debut for Ajax Amsterdam in Tuesday's friendly against Shakhtar Donetsk but it has come to light that he was unavailable for selection because he has not yet received a work permit.
Out of his 65 appearances for Rangers, nineteen were in European competition including the final of the 2021-2022 Europa League where he was in action for 120 minutes in a shootout loss to Eintracht Frankfurt - a club from the big five European Leagues.
Hamstra reckons that Bassey can be an asset to Ajax Amsterdam based on what he has seen of the defender.
Speaking to Ziggo Sport, via Voetbal International, Hamstra said : "He may not play in the biggest league, but he did play the Europa League final. He has made a rapid development and we think he can achieve even more.
"We have a wide squad, but he offers us specific qualities. Why isn't he here tonight? His work permit has yet to be arranged."
Without Bassey in the squad, Ajax won their last friendly match of preseason, beating Shakhtar Donetsk 3-1.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Chelsea vs Tottenham: Two things Tuchel needs to improve on ahead of crunch London derby
- Nottingham Forest linked with move for another Super Eagles winger
- 2022 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup : Five observations from Nigeria's 1-0 win against France
- U20 WWC Falconets player ratings : Demehin leader, Oyono commanding, Oshobukola technical
- France 0 Nigeria 1 : Sabastine goal earns Falconets late win over The Little Blues
- Official : Burnley newbie Tella allocated shirt number he wore at Southampton
- Arsenal legend references Moses as he backs Ryan Sessegnon to flourish as a wing-back
- Confirmed : Anglo-Spanish-Nigerian midfielder signs new deal with Crystal Palace
- Highly-rated Southampton attacking midfielder confirms move to Chelsea youth team
- The Nigeria star who would be a perfect replacement for Barcelona-bound Chelsea LB Alonso
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football