With a statement on their official website, Premier League club Arsenal have announced that London-born Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo has been loaned out to EFL League Two club Crewe Alexandra.
Allnigeriasoccer.com exclusively reported on Thursday that an EFL League Two club and Arsenal have reached a club-to-club agreement for the temporary transfer of the promising goalkeeper, but chose not to reveal the identity of the fourth-tier team.
The Gunners have now confirmed that Okonkwo has joined the Railwaymen on a season-long loan deal.
The Hale End Academy graduate has been signed to provide stiff competition for Dave Richards, in what is his first loan move since officially joining Arsenal at the age of eight.
Okonkwo was promoted to Arsenal's first team last season and received seven call-ups for Premier League games without being utilized off the bench by manager Mikel Arteta.
Commenting on his brand new recruit, Crewe Alexandra manager Alex Morris said to the club's official website : "We are delighted to sign Arthur. Arsenal have been exceptional in facilitating the deal, we have got a great relationship with them.
"He was our number one target right from the start of the summer. He has great stature, he’s a good shot-stopper and has a good record of saving penalties.
"I believe Arsenal have aspirations of him playing in their first team in the future but for now he is here to help us."
Okonkwo has been allocated the number 13 jersey for the forthcoming season and is available for selection on Saturday when Crewe Alexandra face off with Rochdale in their League Two opener.
Photo Credit : crewealex.net
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2022 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup : Five observations from Nigeria's 1-0 win against France
- U20 WWC Falconets player ratings : Demehin leader, Oyono commanding, Oshobukola technical
- France 0 Nigeria 1 : Sabastine goal earns Falconets late win over The Little Blues
- Official : Burnley newbie Tella allocated shirt number he wore at Southampton
- Arsenal legend references Moses as he backs Ryan Sessegnon to flourish as a wing-back
- Confirmed : Anglo-Spanish-Nigerian midfielder signs new deal with Crystal Palace
- Highly-rated Southampton attacking midfielder confirms move to Chelsea youth team
- The Nigeria star who would be a perfect replacement for Barcelona-bound Chelsea LB Alonso
- Why Southgate's visit to Chelsea Training Ground should be a wake-up call to Nigeria
- Opinion : Super Eagles star is a good replacement for Oxlade-Chamberlain at Liverpool
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football