Official : Arsenal confirm London-born Nigerian goalkeeper has joined League Two club on loanPublished: July 29, 2022
With a statement on their official website, Premier League club Arsenal have announced that London-born Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo has been loaned out to EFL League Two club Crewe Alexandra.
Allnigeriasoccer.com exclusively reported on Thursday that an EFL League Two club and Arsenal have reached a club-to-club agreement for the temporary transfer of the promising goalkeeper, but chose not to reveal the identity of the fourth-tier team.
The Gunners have now confirmed that Okonkwo has joined the Railwaymen on a season-long loan deal.
The Hale End Academy graduate has been signed to provide stiff competition for Dave Richards, in what is his first loan move since officially joining Arsenal at the age of eight.
Okonkwo was promoted to Arsenal's first team last season and received seven call-ups for Premier League games without being utilized off the bench by manager Mikel Arteta.
Commenting on his brand new recruit, Crewe Alexandra manager Alex Morris said to the club's official website : "We are delighted to sign Arthur. Arsenal have been exceptional in facilitating the deal, we have got a great relationship with them.
"He was our number one target right from the start of the summer. He has great stature, he’s a good shot-stopper and has a good record of saving penalties.
"I believe Arsenal have aspirations of him playing in their first team in the future but for now he is here to help us."
Okonkwo has been allocated the number 13 jersey for the forthcoming season and is available for selection on Saturday when Crewe Alexandra face off with Rochdale in their League Two opener.
Photo Credit : crewealex.net
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- Arsenal-owned striker of Nigerian descent makes senior debut for EFL club
- Iheanacho joins Brentford, Brighton, Forest, Fulham, Tottenham, Wolves stars in PL TOTW
- Revealed : Length of new deal signed by Wolverhampton Wanderers' Italian-Nigerian midfielder
- 'Very good player' - Ex-Barcelona CB admits it's difficult to defend against Terem Moffi
- Lookman best-rated player in Serie A Team of the Month but Osimhen misses out
- Where does Osimhen rank among world's best strikers?
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo makes big statement about his future after impressive debut for Sturm Graz
- Patrick Vieira rues Eze's missed chance in Eagles' loss to Manchester United
- 'We'll miss them' - PSV's Elephants star on the sale of Madueke, Gakpo to Chelsea, Liverpool
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football