Manager Alfred Schreuder has admitted that Calvin Bassey was rightly sent off during the Johan Cruyff Shield match between Ajax Amsterdam and PSV Eindhoven on Saturday evening.
Sixteen minutes into his Ajax debut after coming off the bench, the summer signing from Glasgow Rangers was shown a straight red card for a horror tackle on Ismael Saibari after a VAR review.
There is work to be done by Ajax ahead of the new Eredivisie season as their defensive frailties were exposed by PSV.
Though Schreuder believes Bassey's red card was fully deserved, he has backed the Nigerian to atone for his error, which contributed to the loss to the Eindhoven club.
In quotes relayed by Football Scotland, Schreuder said : "In the end, I think the red card was decisive.
"You felt we could go on and win it, but it is always more difficult with one less man.
"I looked at the incident after the game and he certainly didn't do it deliberately, but he's gone in a little too wild.
"I admit a red card could have been given and I can understand why they gave it."
Bassey became the most expensive Nigerian defender in history following his move to Ajax Amsterdam, with the Dutch giants signing him for an initial fee of 23 million euros.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2022 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup : Five observations from Nigeria's 1-0 win against France
- U20 WWC Falconets player ratings : Demehin leader, Oyono commanding, Oshobukola technical
- France 0 Nigeria 1 : Sabastine goal earns Falconets late win over The Little Blues
- Official : Burnley newbie Tella allocated shirt number he wore at Southampton
- Arsenal legend references Moses as he backs Ryan Sessegnon to flourish as a wing-back
- Confirmed : Anglo-Spanish-Nigerian midfielder signs new deal with Crystal Palace
- Highly-rated Southampton attacking midfielder confirms move to Chelsea youth team
- The Nigeria star who would be a perfect replacement for Barcelona-bound Chelsea LB Alonso
- Why Southgate's visit to Chelsea Training Ground should be a wake-up call to Nigeria
- Opinion : Super Eagles star is a good replacement for Oxlade-Chamberlain at Liverpool
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football