Stoke City boss provides update on the future of Super Eagles midfielderPublished: August 05, 2022
Stoke City manager Michael O'Neill has provided an update on the future of Oghenekaro Etebo ahead of his side's first home game of the new Championship season against Blackpool.
The Nigeria international has returned from his loan spell at Watford but speculation is rife that he could depart the Potters before the close of the summer transfer window.
Etebo's loan spell at the Hornets did not go as planned as he spent up to five months on the sidelines due to a torn quad muscle injury that required surgery.
Since the appointment of O'Neill as Stoke City boss in November 2019, the Super Eagles star has not been utilized by the Northern Irishman, making the matchday squad on two occasions without getting minutes.
Apart from Watford, Etebo has been shipped off on loan to Getafe in Spain and Turkish outfit Galatasaray, playing on a regular basis for both teams.
O'Neill has admitted that the central midfielder is eager for a change of scene, adding that he is not yet in tiptop condition.
In quotes relayed by StokeonTrentLive, O'Neill said : "Peter's been away from the club for two and a half years. In that period he's been on three different loans.
"He previously hasn't returned in pre-season, this pre-season he has returned and he played some games for Nigeria at the end of last season.
"He had quite a bad injury last season with Watford so missed quite a portion of the season.
"He's not fit enough to train with the squad yet and I think in his mind he's still looking for a permanent exit from the club.
"It's very difficult for us as a club to rewind two-and-a-half years but he's still our player, he's contracted to the club and we're duty bound to look after him, which is what we're doing."
Signed from Portuguese club CD Feirense in the summer of 2018, Etebo has less than one year left on his contract with Stoke City.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Best sites to predict football scores
- Opinion: The Arsenal transfer target Leicester City star Ndidi should replace at West Ham
- 'He's done okay' - Former Aston Villa striker urges Everton to cash in on Iwobi
- Lille ahead of Burnley in race for Gift Orban but Gent playing hardball over striker's transfer
- Official: FC Cincinnati sign Aghedo until end of the season plus club options
- Official: Bournemouth release 19yo winger of Nigerian descent
- Confirmed: Schalke 04 will not sign former Celtic defender Jenz on a full deal
- CIES report suggests Manchester United and Chelsea target Osimhen is valued at N38.1b
- Chukwueze's link with Real Madrid: Is Villarreal winger a better than option than Rodrygo?
- Southampton and Brighton join Crystal Palace in race to sign Chelsea's Nigerian defender
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football