Everton and Nigeria midfielder Alex Iwobi has spoken about the positive impacts that manager Frank Lampard and new signing James Tarkowski had on him as he produced a sterling performance against Chelsea at the Goodison Park on Saturday evening.
Iwobi played for 90 minutes in his club's first game of the 2022 /2023 Premier League season and delivered the goods despite the 1-0 defeat the Toffees suffered thanks to a Jorginho penalty.
Iwobi's range of passes was worthy of note as he completed more passes than his teammates - 38 in total which was 81.9% accurate.
The Nigerian also created two clear cut scoring chances and had 47 touches if the ball. He made two interceptions, three clearances and committed one foul as shown by Whoscored.com's statistical analysis.
"I had a meeting with the manager before the game who told me – especially when we are going on the attack – that I should look around and be aware of my surroundings," Iwobi told Everton’s official website.
"The gaffer is always talking to me, motivating me and telling me to go out and express myself, kick on from last season, and I feel like I’ve done that so far. But it’s a long season, it’s a marathon, and there’s a long way to go."
Iwobi, nephew to Nigeria's former midfield maestro Austin Jay Jay Okocha also had kind words for former Burnley defender James Tarkowski who joined Everton this summer for his defensive nous.
"He’s a giant at the back, he’s a monster," the Nigerian eulogized.
"You feel very safe and secure with him, and nothing goes past him. For me playing in front of him, he’s always talking to me, always helping me to be in the right positions.
"He’s good for me, good for the team, has a lot of experience. It was a solid performance from him," Iwobi further said.
Everton’s next Premier League game is a trip on Saturday away to Villa Park against Aston Villa coached by former Liverpool star Steven Gerrard.
Photo Credit : evertonfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Leicester City's Super Eagles midfielder out for 'a few weeks' with hamstring injury
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football