Former Super Eagles striker and 1997 African Footballer of the Year award winner Victor Ikpeba on Monday evening hailed Arsenal’s mental resolve in the opening game of the 2022-2023 Premier League season against Crystal Palace.
Ikpeba speaking on the first edition of Monday Night Football also was critical of Nigeria Football Federation target Eberechi Eze for missing the chance to equalise for the Eagle when Arsenal were 1-0 up in the game.
"An own goal by Guehi from Bukayo Saka's cross. I think they (Arsenal) worked hard to pick the maximum points on Friday," Ikpeba said.
"I think credit should go to Crystal Palace in certain moments of the game. (Eberechi) Eze had a one-on-one chance to equalise against Aaron Ramsdale. I think what was lacking from this Crystal Palace side was goals.
Ikpeba expressed shock that Manchester City had to let striker Gabriel Jesus to leave for Arsenal and insists that while the Gunners are now stronger offensively, they have to improve on defence.
"Arsenal bought well. Zinchenko from City. I'm still surprised that Jesus was allowed to leave City. Defensively they have to improve because in certain moments of the game, they were fragile. They showed some strength offensively," Ikepba reiterated.
Arsenal's next Premier League game is a 3pm kick off against Leicester City on Saturday afternoon.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Leicester City's Super Eagles midfielder out for 'a few weeks' with hamstring injury
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football