Former Super Eagles striker Victor Ikpeba believes Manchester City striker Erling Haaland is the missing link for the Premier League champions and will help Pep Guardiola's team dominate teams especially in the UEFA Champions League.
City began the defence of their title on Sunday evening with a 2-0 win over West Ham, with Haaland scoring both goals to start the campaign on a bright note.
Speaking on Monday Night Football, Ikpeba who played for Haaland's former German Bundesliga side, Borussia Dortmund had this to say.
"Haaland is the missing link for City. It's not as if City cannot dominate teams without Haaland but I think Haaland is so important when it comes to the Champions League," the 1997 African Footballer of the Year winner said.
"City have struggled sometimes in the semifinals and finals of the Champions League without an outright striker. They have laboured in that position.
"What Haaland brings is the threat from those crosses, dead ball situations," Ikpeba stressed.
Speaking on the similarities between both sides, Ikpeba sees a striking semblance of styles.
"I think Borussia Dortmund play similar football to Man City - a lot of movements for the attacking players upfront.
"They are teams that traditionally dominate the middle of the pack, play out from the back and you need a striker upfront, the likes of Raheem Sterling (before his move to Chelsea), Mahrez, Grealish and Foden.
Ikpeba who was affectionately called the 'Prince of Monaco' in his playing days thumbed up the striker for his positional play.
"Haaland did that (good positioning) compared with the Community Shield game against Liverpool. He had more movement in this game against West Ham. He has to adapt, the other players need to adapt with him because he's dangerous when you put those passes behind the defence," the former Nigeria youth international stated.
Photo Credit : mancity.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- Chelsea hand UYL debut to promising striker Mendel-Idowu against Eletu's AC Milan
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football