In what was his third career appearance as a professional, Nigerian-born centre-forward Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan netted his maiden goal for Reading as they were beaten 2-1 by Stevenage in a Carabao Cup first round clash at the Select Car Leasing Stadium on Tuesday evening.
In the 63rd minute, Ehibhatiomhan brought the Royals back on level terms as he fired the ball into the net but the visitors netted the winner in the 89th minute when Danny Rose poked home from close range.
The average age of Reading's starting lineup against Stevenage was 21 years, 8 months and 3 days, with Ehibhatiomhan even younger at 19 years and 108 days.
Manchester United legend Paul Ince, who is Reading's head coach, stressed that he was proud of the display of his young players, including Ehibhatiomhan, against seasoned professionals.
"Academies are all about developing players, and with games like this in our circumstances it allows us to look at these players. And you’ve seen Kelvin get his first senior goal – he won’t be able to sleep tonight!" Ince told Reading's official website.
"It also shows that they have a long way to go. You look at the first XI that played against Cardiff and we will need to rely on some of these young boys, and we’ll need them against Rotherham, so getting that experience tonight will enhance that"
Ehibhatiomhan made his professional debut in a Carabao Cup first round match against Swansea City exactly a year ago and his first Championship game was against Welsh club Cardiff City on August 6, 2022.
Photo Credit : readingfc.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- Chelsea hand UYL debut to promising striker Mendel-Idowu against Eletu's AC Milan
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football