Blues legend and retired England international Joe Cole has spoken of his delight at Chukwuemeka's signing by Chelsea in the summer transfer window, labeling the 2022 European U19 champion 'one of the most talented players in England'.
The Blues pulled off quite a coup luring the Super Eagles-eligible central midfielder to Stamford Bridge as he was heavily linked with a transfer to Barcelona.
Chukwuemeka was offered a new contract to extend his stay at Aston Villa but opted to move on to pastures new due to concerns over his playing time.
One of the stars of this summer's U19 Euro and named in the Team of the Tournament, he made sixteen career appearances in the Premier League during his time at Villa Park, including two starts.
Under new regulations, Premier League clubs have been banned from signing U18 players from abroad after the United Kingdom left the European Union.
Speaking to Evening Standard, Cole said : "Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa is one of the most talented players in England.
"That signing is even more important when you realise that signing young players from Europe has changed since Brexit.
"It important that even if we pay a bit more than we want to, that we’re getting the best young British players in the door for the next generation."
Chelsea higher-ups have expressed confidence in Chukwuemeka and have no intention to loan him out before the window closes, and he has been training with the first team since his arrival.
The 18-year-old was not included in the matchday squad last weekend as Chelsea began the new season with a 1-0 win at Everton.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Leicester City's Super Eagles midfielder out for 'a few weeks' with hamstring injury
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football